Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How to convert math text PDF format to Kindle readable format

Portable Devices

Old 23-02-2012

How to convert math text PDF format to Kindle readable format

I have got a kindle tablet. I have connected to the School online network to read some math textbooks. Those were in PDF format. I transferred those files to Kindle. This device can open those files but it losed format. It cannot render algebra formulas and texts. Sometimes the general format is also gibberish. I tried the Calibre, to send pdf directly via amazonís conversion service but it didnít work. Does anyone know how to convert pdf's without losing format to .mobi or any Kindle readable format?

Old 23-02-2012

Re: How to convert math text PDF format to Kindle readable format

As far as I know that there is a no way you can convert a math text to readable reflowable format. If you need a MOBI format, you have to convert the equations to images. This cannot be done by the author. You have to do it manually. And there is no automatic PDF converter which can do it like this way. Only one way is to improve the PDFs to easily readable. If there is a double column text, you can make them to one column and strip the margin. To do this, you can use soPDF and BRISS Tools. Otherwise you can PDF to image (in MOBI or in PDF) converters like PDFRead. If your Kindle is of 6" screen, then you may not get the acceptable results and it is not good for PDfs. Kindle DX is a better for in this situation.
Old 23-02-2012

I think that you have to use the k2pdfopt. This tool is capable to format the pdf fine but you need to dodge few images. After this you use the calibre to convert to MOBI. I hope that this technique would work.
Old 23-02-2012

If you are looking forward to read the Math Textbook which are in PDf format or any ebook format, the you will at least need (8" or 9") larger devices. I know that the 6" devices are extremely portable but with smaller screen, the PDF format does not able to re-flow correctly. Usually those page layout are designed to fit in a specified size screen and whole lot things are constrained by graphics and some addition elements for positioning. You can see any text on small screen but cannot be readable properly. Best way is to read in landscape mode.
Old 23-02-2012

There are bunch of math pdf books on my iPad. I have converted them using the GoodReader app. This app provides several features and functions to crop pages so that you can fit them well on any screen size. You donít need to zoom in and out every time. In order to get the good experience, you should add table of contents inside the PDF files so that you can jump from one chapter to another at anytime. Some PDFs donít have this thing. You have to manually add this using the Adobe Reader.
Old 23-02-2012

If the Math books are in PDF and Dejaview formats, then you have to consider using the Pocketbook 301+. In my experience, I found it as a best PDF reader in the 6" screen devices. Now there is a newer version called Pocketbook 302 but it comes with a glossy touch screen. I like this because, it can capable to open and read any technical documents, heavy mathematics pdfs with graphics. The main features are:
  • Zoom to arbitrary level and persistent zoom
  • Landscape mode without margins
  • Multiple-column mode
  • Two PDF viewers (XPDF and Adobe with DRM support)
  • DejaView viewer.
Everything is on its firmware and it was that makes the Pocketbook a great PDF viewer
Old 23-02-2012

In my case the tex4ht did an excellent job. It helped me to convert the LaTeX to (X)HTML and then math to bitmap or MathML. After this conversion, I can easily usethe Calibre, to convert those files to EPUB or MOBI format.
Old 23-02-2012

I am using the Kindle DX mostly to read Ebooks. You already know that even a smaller Kindle can read PDFs but it is not compatible for some A4 pages or most technical books. For the fine usage to these books or pages, you have to look for Kindle DX because its screen size is fine enough for such things.

However the Kindle does not have native rendering support. So I use DjVuLibre command-line in order to convert from DJVU-to-PDF

TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Tags: , , , , , , , ,