Thread: How to restore Text justification toggle Menu in Amazon kindle

How to restore Text justification toggle Menu in Amazon kindle

I have seen that there is a hidden menu inside the font menu which you can see in all kindle readers, which you can use to toggle between the left and full text justification. You have to enable that menu and change the Default "full" to "left". By doing this you can read most of formatted ebooks available for Kindle with a ragged right margin. A developer had explained about this without hacking the Kindle. Does anyone know the instructions how to do this without hacking.

Re: How to restore Text justification toggle Menu in Amazon kindle

The instructions are as follows. I hope that it works in all version of Kindle.
    • First of all switch on your Kindle and pus the Home button
    • Now connect a USB cable in order to make the Kindle to mount the user section
    • After this you have to edit the file system/com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader/reader.pref in a UNIX end-of-line aware editor.
    • Add this code to the end of the reader.pref file:

Code:
    ALLOW_JUSTIFICATION_CHANGE=true
    • Disconnect the USB connection from your Kindle
    • Now restart the Kindle by Home> Menu> Settings> Menu> Restart
    • After this procedure everything is done. Now press the font button [aA] and see a menu item called "Justification" with "left" or "full".

I don’t have any idea about what you are talking about. I am using the Kindle DXG and I didn’t see anything on here. This thing is not working on my device. Even if the ALLOW_JUSTIFICATION does work, I didn’t see ALLOW_LINESPACING working normally. I have recently upgraded the device to v 3.0.2. No matter what option I choose in menu, the text selection appears the same and in same position.

As far as I know that Full default reader settings switches from Firmware 3.x:
    • ALLOW_JUSTIFICATION_CHANGE = false
    • ALLOW_TWO_COLUMN_VIEW = false
    • ALLOW_ARTICLE_THUMBNAIL = false
    • ALLOW_READING_INDICATOR = true
    • ALLOW_USER_FONT = false
    • ALLOW_USER_LINE_SPACING = false

It seems to me that you haven’t got the proper formatted ebook yet. The one you got might be poorly formatted. I have already mentioned in my post that in order to make the text justification, you need to get the good formatted books. Sometimes, if the publisher configured the justification at the paragraph level, then you cannot override the menu toggle. You have to refer the Kindle manual for more information.

I have changed the ALLOW_READING_INDICATOR = false, by hoping that it may help to remove the reading indicator which is placed at the bottom of the screen. But there was no luck. I have the justification setting but they won’t work at all. I want to get rid of that reading indicator. By removing this, I can get the whole screen to read on.

While editing the reader.prefs files in your computer one thing you have to make sure that the Kindle should be place on the Home page before connection the USB cable. After the editing the file and ejecting the Device, you have to go the settings menu immediately and restart the Device. If you wait for a while or do something else, the reader.prefs will revert back to the previous settings and the changes will not affect all. So in order to avoid revert process, you have to be quick and make a quick restart.

If you are using the Windows operating system, then you have to show the hidden folders reside the in the Windows' Explorer. Usually the most of the Kindle System files are hidden. In order to show up those files in Windows, you have to follow the certain steps depending on the Version of Windows OS. Make sure that show hidden SYSTEM files/folders in Kindle root directory.