Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Nokia N8 Belle product code bug and fixes for Belle bugs

Portable Devices

Old 21-02-2012

Nokia N8 Belle product code bug and fixes for Belle bugs

I own an out-of-warranty Nokia N8 Belle purchased via Canadian ?Rogers?. Canadian ?Rogers? closed down manufacturing of N8 handsets and so did they stop providing updates, so I wanted to change firmware. I changed my firmware using Navifirm+ and Phoenix applications. After changing firmware, my phone was changed to American mode. It included maps of U.S.A. and Mexico. Everything is working fine except for one thing, the product code of firmware still remains from old Canadian ?Rogers? version. Will it cause any problem in functionality of my phone?

Old 21-02-2012

Re: Nokia N8 Belle product code bug and fixes for Belle bugs

The problem mentioned above of product code remaining same is faced by many users from other countries too. No tool available with Nokia?s service centre to modify the product code of firmware.
One problem it causes is of Compatibility. If you want to update apps or purchase new apps, your phone will send product code of Canadian version to Nokia?s server. So even if your phone is not using Canadian firmware, apps compatible to that version will only be sent or updated.
Old 21-02-2012

Nokia servers check for product code, version and region of firmware before sending or updating any component of its phones. You get notification if your version has passed compatibility for any app based on its product code, version and region. Even if you use hacked or unofficially downloaded apps, updating it will create same issue.
Old 21-02-2012

The Nokia Suite backup is very advanced. It stores the details of old firmware and restores when updating. So by using Nokia Suite, you can override the product code restriction. But again there are some limitations to this method too. Nokia has created some parameters for these problems. So in rare cases you might get any app that doesn?t accept product code of old firmware.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Tags: , , , , , ,