Thread: Not able to install Windows 7 on Ibm Thinkpad R40

Not able to install Windows 7 on Ibm Thinkpad R40

I have been using IBM Thinkpad R40 and I have recently installed a 160 GB HD on it and now I am willing to install Windows 7 on the HD as well but then the problem here is that it is having CDRW burner/DVD reader and it is not having a dvd drive, so I just wanted to know that can I install Windows 7 DVD from the hd that I was having previously and which is still having windows xp on the new hd by making it portable and so?

Re: Not able to install Windows 7 on Ibm Thinkpad R40

I have been using IBM Thinkpad R40 and I have recently installed a 160 GB HD on it and now I am willing to install Windows 7 on the HD as well but then the problem here is that it is having CDRW burner/DVD reader and it is not having a dvd drive, so I just wanted to know that can I install Windows 7 DVD from the hd that I was having previously and which is still having windows xp on the new hd by making it portable and so?
    See if you are not having a dvd drive then you can very well use a USB Drive for installing windows 7, why do you want to mess up things, you can just make usb bootable and use it without any issues. Hope that helps.

I am aware of the same but then the other issue that I am having here is that the laptop is just showing CD in the boot selection, below are the selections that I am getting:
    • Removable devices
    • Hard drive
    • CD-ROM drive
    • IBA 4.1.07 slot 0240

When I am trying to boot the DVD from the CD-ROM then I am getting the below error message:
    "PXE-M0F:Exiting Intel Boot Agent
    Operating system not found"
    I am getting the same error message when I am using usb drive as well, is there any other thing that I can try out??

The error for running DVD from the CD-ROM is correct as you are not allowed to run a dvd from a cd rom, anyways what you can try out is just select the boot from Hard drive in the boot menu and after that reboot the machine and then see if it is allowing you to use the usb or you are getting the same message, sometimes it do allows booting from usb when the boot order is set to hard drive, just check out the same and see if it is making any difference in your case or not.

I have tried doing the same but then the above solution is not making any difference in my case and I am still getting the same error message again, I was just looking after a solution for the same on the web and I have found a no of people who have mentioned that they are running windows 7 on IBM Thinkpad R40 but then I don’t know how they have done that.

As far as I am aware you system is probably too old to run Windows 7 and if you still have any doubt then you can just confirm out the same with Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. Other than this i just wanted to share that the dvd should boot without any issues even if there is CD drive option in the boot order as the IBM Thinkpad R40 is having a CD-RW/DVD rom drive.

I have already ran the Windows advisor and it says that the laptop should run Windows 7 without any issues and I have also mentioned that there are a no of people using Windows 7 on IBM Thinkpad R40 so there is no chance of accepting that my laptop is too old to run windows 7, I also wanted to share that I had faced the same issue with Thinkpad T40 but then I was able to install windows 7 on the same use usb drive, anyways I wanted to know that is it possible to install it on original HDD and copy onto new one??? Will that be working out for me??

See whenever we install windows on any hdd it loads drivers and the snapshot of the hardware for the specific hardware so if you will load the Windows on one machine and then will install the HDD to some other machine than you will probably get a Blue Screen as it won’t be able to find out the hardware of the other machine. So I don’t think that the solution you are willing to try will work out.