Thread: WiFi connection disconnects when the Apple iPad is locked

WiFi connection disconnects when the Apple iPad is locked

It seems like there is some issue with my apple iPad which I am noticing from last few weeks. The first think which is annoying me is that the emails which are sent to me from the other end are not receiving at the time when they are sent, it happens a lot frequently when my iPad is connected to our corporate wireless. When tested, I saw that the connection use to drop a lot whenever there is no activity taken place on the device for a long period of time. Once I tried sending an email to myself, it appeared to be received to my after 15 minutes.

Also once I when I took my ipad to use it, what happened was when I unlocked the device which was actually locked, the network on my device first indicated AT&T 3G and then later on it automatically switched to wifi. Now my question is that is there something in my device which is causing this wifi to get disconnect automatically when the device is locked.

Re: WiFi connection disconnects when the Apple iPad is locked

I would suggest you to check the latency monitor on the server console, make sure that you check the latency monitor at the time when the email tugs are sent almost to the server. Also it is seen that under certain server side the MS doesn’t like to play with iPhones, also there are certain older version of exchange that are running on older server configuration.

Oh Yeah this is how exactly the ipad shows the error. When the device is sleeping the ipad sleep the wifi connection at the same time. It’s like when the device is sleeping or locked the email is received using over the 3G but when the device is unlocked or awake the same email is received across over the wifi network.

It’s so annoying that in order to check the email in my device I have to wait for the device to first wake up after unlocking and then separately it is required for me to wait for the 3G network to switch to the wifi network and then reconnect to the exchange and only then I can receive my mails.

I am not sure with the solution I am providing but I guess it should work in your case. Firstly create a config profile with a wifi payload of the wifi credentials which is set to auto join.

Now this should keep the wifi network connected to the device until the SSID is out of range.

Actually the problem is not exactly with the wifi. It’s the device which is causing the problem; in order to save the battery when the device shuts down or sleeps it also disconnects the wifi connection. I have already tried to test the same thing on another wifi and the results are the same, the other wifi network also got disconnected by the device as soon as it got locked. The most annoying this is that it not only disconnects the wifi but other than that it activates the 3G network which irritates a lot.

The only result I have found it to maintain a constant network activity and keep the wifi active only then the connection is active and working, but practically that doesn’t seems to be possible for all the time.

There can be certain possible things which are causing your device with such wifi disconnection issue:

• 3G and WIFI is enabled without a plug in or charger
    • 3G and WIFI is enabled and you have plugged in the charger
    • 3G is disabled, WIFI is enabled and you have not plugged in your charger
    • 3G is disabled, and the WIFI connection is enabled and you have plugged in the charger

In the first case when the 3G and wifi both are enabled and if the no external power source is used for charging then the wifi connections is bound to get disconnect if the phone goes in the sleep mode activating the 3G mode. And again when the 3G and wifi is enabled with a power source for charging then definitely your wifi connections will be safe and established even after the device goes into the sleep mode.

But when the 3G is disabled keeping the wifi network enabled and also if the device is connected to the charger then you will be noticing that the wifi connection is enabled until the device is awake and active but once it goes to the sleep mode or it is locked then the connection is broken same as the case one. Again in the same case keeping the 3G disabled and wifi enabled but with a charger plugged in then certainly the wifi will be connected even after the phone is in the sleep mode.

Everyone knows that the device goes into the sleep mode just to increase the life of the battery of your device. I don’t have the exact solution for this issue but after reading the above posts and possibilities I can say that in order to get rid of the 3G network getting enabled as soon as the wifi connection disconnects, make sure that you disable or switch of the 3G mode and just enable the wifi network. At least your device will not end up having a 3G network enabled when it goes into the sleep mode.