Thread: Toshiba X505 Q860 getting an error message "A problem with the cooling system, return it for service"

Toshiba X505 Q860 getting an error message "A problem with the cooling system, return it for service"

I have a Toshiba Qosmio X505 Q860 with me from past 1 year. It has never shown any unusual error messages yet and also never shut off without any reason even after doing a heavy work or after long gaming on it. And I can play any high quality games like starcraft and Black Ops.

Recently I dropped my laptop from about 2 feet which didn’t cause any hardware damage or system breakage, let me tell you that even after turning on the system everything worked fine as it use to work before it got dropped down. But always accessing it after few minutes I get an error message saying “A problem with the cooling system has been detected. Please turn off the computer immediately, and return it for service”.

Let me tell you this message have not affected my system in any way but still it scares me a lot. I never got this message before and also none of my friends have heard about this message. I just know that my laptop was on hibernate mode when I was dropped on the ground. Anyone having the same problem?

re: Toshiba X505 Q860 getting an error message "A problem with the cooling system, return it for service"

At least you started receiving this message after you dropped your laptop but in my case I have not yet encountered with any incident till now, yet I am getting this unwanted error message from the 2nd month of the purchase. I bought my satellite A660D two months ago, after one week I started getting this same message saying “a problem with the cooling system has been detected. Please turn off the computer immediately and return it for service” but my problem didn’t stop over here, after the message I got that blue screen of death.

Now I am unable to do anything with the laptop as it always shows the blue screen whenever I start the system. I think as mentioned in the error message I will have to return the system for service. But what I doubt is whether the system will be able to run smoothly after the service and I also wanted to know what exactly is causing such error in my system.

Re: Toshiba X505 Q860 getting an error message "A problem with the cooling system, return it for service"

Hey I got my system repaired after getting the same problem. I got it repaired from the service center, according to them the problem was with the hard drive as it was having a bad sector.

But I would really like to tell one more thing, it almost took them one month to return my system after I sent it for repair. Their invoice stated that they replaced the hard drive because it had bad sectors. Anyways the issue is somehow sorted out, that’s what the only think matter for me.

Re: Toshiba X505 Q860 getting an error message "A problem with the cooling system, return it for service"

I have the same problem with my X505 Q860 laptop. How can we get such message which has nothing to do with what exactly is written in it. After when I read the error message, I checked the health monitor and the temperature which were normal and doing great. The fan and the temp speed at 50 for both. Also tried all the possible suggestion suggested to me but nothing worked.

Just because this error message has popped up in my Laptop I haven’t tried gaming yet. I have no yet got that blue screen of death yet; do I still really need to send my laptop to the service center in order to get it repaired? Does even my laptop will take 1 month to get repair?

No use of sending your laptop to the support center. If you want your laptop to work smoothly just for few days after the service then please carry on. Let me tell you I had the same issue, after I sent it to the support center for the service the laptop worked with showing me that error again. But later after 1 week again the same problem started and this time the error message appeared frequently.

Let me also tell you that the problem is not exactly with the hard drive. In my case they said that the issue was with the cooling fan, but still I replaced both the fan and the hard drive for a safer side. But that didn’t work, the issue occurred again after a week. I would better suggest you to try something else instead of just wasting your time by sending your laptop to the support center they just keep it with them for a long time and then return it to you with just a temporary solution.

I was told by the tech support people that the CPU/VGA cooling fan was defected, due to which my laptop use to get overheated and produces such error messages. When opened and checked my laptop after the getting back from the support center, I saw that they replaced the cpu/vga cooling fan, then applied new thermal grease to the CPU, confirmed DMI and updated the BIOS.

I guess you are right hard drive is not exactly the issue. When I returned my A665 to them in order to get the hard drive replaced they said that the issue is not with the hard drive but still I forcefully got the HD replaced but later I noticed that nothing was changed. I found that the fan use to shut down automatically only after the processor use to come down to a certain temperature, and the situation use to remain the same. After some time error messages use to pop up.

After reading this thread now I am confirmed that the issue exactly in my system is with the CPU/VGA cooling fan. Anyhow this time I will definitely replace the cooling fan.

Hey friends I am same like you people having the same problem but the only difference between you and me is that I have got my problem solved easily.

Initially even I sent my L670 satellite pro for repair to the service center but then nothing changed I got the same problem again then at last I myself the things done and well placed. Just try the following things:

• Uninstall VALUE ADDED PACKAGE
    • Reboot the system
    • Now no more “A problem with the cooling system has been detected. Please turn off the computer immediately, and return it for service”

I personally feel that the problem in my system was due to the TOSHIBA software which was installed in it.