Thread: Does Nokia Lumia 900 support T-Mobile 3G?

Does Nokia Lumia 900 support T-Mobile 3G?

According to the leaked specification of Nokia Lumia 900 it has been said that this Lumia 900 phone will most probably support 1700MHz band and also it has been concluded that this phone will then support UMTS 3G for T-Mobile USA. I guess AT&T uses AWS for LTE, but not for UMTS.

But thing this is not the exact scenario, even my friend said that Lumia 900 won’t be able to support T-mobile 3G. as according to him he says that HTC Vivid and Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket are the only two LTE phone for AT&T which actually supports the 1700 Mhz band only for LTE and not for UMTS. This actually means that Nokia Lumia 900 will obviously not be able to support or access T-mobile’s UMTS network.

Is there anyone who either agrees or deny with the fact shown to you. I am not sure with it but definitely I will take it as a fact if no one denies it.

Re: Does Nokia Lumia 900 support T-Mobile 3G?

Dude first get the things confirmed and then believe on them, don’t just make your own assumptions and make yourself believe on it. First of all let me tell you that T-mobile uses the AWS band (1700/2100) for its UMTS network. I guess AT&T uses the 700 MHz band for its LTE network and not the AWS band. In fact after the merger failing it is necessary for them to give as compensation some of its AWS spectrum to T-Mobile.

Let me also tell you that currently there is no such integrated LTE radios existing.

According to me both of you are right. Actually I have read in an article that at&t uses both the 700MHz and 1700MHz bands for its LTE network. Now it would be interesting to see that what exactly the Nokia Lumia 900 will be possibly supporting. But if the device was really designed keeping T-Mobile in mind with the failing merger then definitely the 1700 band may not have been used for LTE but yes it could have been intended for T-mobile compatibility either.

Heard that the Lumia 710 is likely to come to T-moblie but next week which possibly has the support for the AT&T network, so obviously there are chances of Lumia 900 has been designed keep the same thing in mind.

I guess the Nokia Lumia 900 uses the Qualcomm MDM9200 LTE modem which is exactly the same as the HTC Vivid. Also according to my experiement as far as I am concerned the HTC Vivid support AWS, but only for LTE. Also I have noticed a that there is an existence of Snapdragon processor that support pentaband in Lumia 900.

Whatever maybe my research is but trust me I just feel that whatever I said should be wrong atleast for those T-mobile users. I think the T-mobile users are actually not limited from using the bands but they are stopped from accessing the HSDPA data and only allowed to use EDGE/GPRS.

I am truly annoyed with the window phone 7. Windows phone 7 was according to me the best phone till now, I would love to use this phone but the only think I don’t like is the restriction they apply for the hardware on the devices makes and the developers. I think it was Nokia who was really supporting and also it was in favor of pentaband but ultimately now just because of the Chipset restriction they are even unable to support it. When I plan to buy their phone which actually costs the carrier twice as much as the data caps then I am forced to think twice on my decision.

I do not agree with you. If you feel that there is some fault and if you really wanted to blame someone then blame Nokia and its carrier for their own decision instead of point out the negativities in the OS and blaming them.
    Anyways I would like to tell all the T-mobile users that T-mobile is now adding 1900MHz spectrum for HSPA+, so all you users need not have to worry and be cool.

There has someone to be blamed and according to me it’s the OS i.e. windows phone 7. I also think that there are certain reasons due to which Nokia is disallowed to make a pentaband WP7 phone.

• The OS doesn't support any chipsets that would allow a pentaband radio
    • Nokia doesn't want to make pentaband phones
    • The carriers told Nokia not to make a pentaband phone

Nokia however didn’t stop using pentaband until Windows phone 7 came into the picture, after windows phone 7 was introduced they were forced to use the chipsets which actually didn’t support the pentaband. If you recollect all the Nokia’s high end best phones had pendaband.

I think the first option i.e. “The OS doesn't support any chipsets that would allow a pentaband radio” is certainly true. But not the 2nd option as Nokia has already been using and making all their high end phones pentable. Also the 3rd option “The carriers told Nokia not to make a pentaband phone” is unlike as Nokia was already selling the pentaband phones where the carriers had less sway.