Thread: Google TV is moving to New Marvell Armada 1500 CPU

Google TV is moving to New Marvell Armada 1500 CPU

I am not sure about the new but really wanted to confirm it right here. I heard that now Google TV is official switching to an ARM based architecture. As we all know that Google TV was officially tied up with intel platform but now I guess they are switching from this intel processor to new marvell Armada 1500 CPU. If we look into the details I think armada 1500 has the best and improved architecture which can be more compatible with google TV if compared to intel.

The technology present in that is a Armada 1500 dual-core CPU which in turn has a potential of giving a computer system level performance and reliability. There are certain thing that would be compatible features which are quite interesting and advantageous. It is said that it will support Blu-ray 3D, video encoding / decoding and upscaling and also the power management feautres will allow the product to be enabled without a fan.

Re: Google TV is moving to New Marvell Armada 1500 CPU

Yeah, I have been already using a blue ray HD DVD player having a Marvell Qdeo from past 5 years and was quite satisfied with it.

The only thing now we need to test in this Armada 1500 is the processing power comparing with the currently used intel atom chips.

According to my knowledge I think the product marketing Manager of Google TV has not yet confirmed any news regarding the actual product. But yes as far as I am concerned the reveled reports says that there are chances of Google TV coming up with some new beneficial advantages from Vizo, samsung, LG etc.

Also there have been some more possible Google TV technical details shared by the product Manager about the Armada 1500, he says that the chip comes with a dual-core CPU clocking 1.2 GHz per core and it is also capable of decoding two 1080p video streams that too at the same time. This will surely enable the picture in picture also the widge overlays for google TV.

Even I got a news which I guess is a confirmed one. I have read in an article that Google and Marvell have teamed up together to make the software and chipset techonology combine and bring them to the market in order to increase the productivity of the Google TV devices. This Marvell-powered Google TV solutions will definitely be bringing up a powerful product which will be bought to the market at a decent and attractive price.

I think Google TV were actually supporting the Hulu+. If it was really a fact then i am sure that after Hulu-plus added to Google plus would have been easiy be able to accomplish on the ARM platform.

But on the same side, I don’t think that the processor will ever be an obstrucle if Hulu+ plus is added instead the only major obstrucle would have been gaining the rights from all the owners of the programs and also will have to make sure that the copy rights security protections needs are fully satisfied and up to the mark. Once the Marvell implementation is proved to be the biggest possitive change and improvement when compared to the intel Atom processor then definitely there is a huge advantageous possibility for Google TV.

Not only the above ones but also there are few more improvements after these suddenly change if possibly take place, they include better power management which should most probably reduce the power energy requirements as compared to the current Google TV consumption. There are also chances of more video codecs supports. Then this new generation Google TV will also be able to natively decode VP8 which is now placed at the core of the Google’s open source WebM video format.

Google TV implementing the VP8 will definitely help the format gain traction and also will be able to make sure that it itslef stream the WebM version of its YouTube video to Google TV device.

Armada 1500 already has a good reputation in the market. If we go in its history, let me tell you that already Aramada 1500 has already got a Marvell’s award-winning Qdeo video processing for state-of-the-art HD and 3D video which includes scaling, noise reduction, de-interlacing, low bit-rate internet video enhancement and color/contrast enhancement.

Also I would like to inform you that this chip offers us a video decoder/encoder/transcoder in a multi format way that can possibly decode at most two simultaneous 1080p streams and also the host of other video formats and containers. This Aramada 1500 also contains Marvell’s highest-performing ARM v6/7-compatible PJ4B SMP super-scalar dual-core CPU.

Other smaller and basic but yet benificial features of this chips are that it is energy-efficient, ultra-scalable and immensely affordable and also very much powerful.

I thing now the biggest selling point day is surely going to arise for the much awaited custormers. I am sure the new ARM based Google TV device is going to create a boom in the market and also going to bring a considerable change in the price of the product as compared to the old Intel predecessors.
    Also the codecs support and the hardware looks great.