Thread: ACPI hardware failure in Lenovo Thinkpad W700

ACPI hardware failure in Lenovo Thinkpad W700

I bought this Lenovo Thinkpad W700 recently as per my friend suggestion but I think I fell into taking a wrong decision. I am facing continuously one after the other consistently.

The first thing is that my Fn keys stopped working completely then later on my thinkVantage button also showed the same symptoms as of Fn keys. Then again after few days the volume and the mic button which are present on the left side of the laptop stopped responding. And ultimately now the problem reached to the internal hardware devices, I mean my CPU fan is now creating the issue. I can notice that my CPU fan stops working for a while after I switch on the laptop.

I am not getting why exactly I am facing such huge number of problems that too in such a short period of time. Am I special or else there are other people with the same multiple issues in their laptop?

Re: ACPI hardware failure in Lenovo Thinkpad W700

As you said that your CPU stops spinning for a while after you power on your laptop, so I guess all your other problem are too related to this CPU issue. Once you replace your CPU fan or get it repair everything will come to its normal condition and also they all will function properly excluding those buttons.

Just try to replace your CPU fan or heatsink. Or else you can get the case log and replace your CPU fan for free of cost and also those buttons and keys if defected from the support center if your laptop is in warranty. Once the things are replaced or repaired I would also suggest you to update your BIOS, if already updated then there is no problem updating it again.

My friend I have already tried few of the tests which includes the CPU Fan. And I am sure that the problem is not with the CPU Fan as I already checked it by replacing with one of my other old Fan. When connected the old CPU Fan, it was spinning smoothly same as the existing one. Also I would like to tell you that I have already two fans installed in the laptop which works well when they are connected to the external source but when I start the laptop the CPU Fan stops working. Also the CPU Fan is controlled by the ACPI events.

• I have also updated the BIOS yesterday, now I have the latest and the most recent updates
    • Already replaced the Cooling Fan
    • Also replaced the motherboard, everything worked fine for 1 week then the problem started again

ACPI errors can be occurs due to many problems. I according to me I think it could be due to the corrupt Thinkpad Power Management Driver. And for your keys and buttons issue I guess the problem could be due to the same corrupt Thinkpad Power Management Driver and also due to the missing or corrupt Hotkey features.

In my case the problem comes and goes after every 2 to 3 days. I have the exact same problem as yours, not only the CPU fan stops working but also all the exact keys which you have mentioned do not function any more. Even in my laptop most of the keys are able to trigger ACPI events at the time they are pressed especially those ones which are now not working. also the CPU fan is controlled by the ACPI events. May be that’s the reason we say that the laptop is suffering from the ACPI failure.

Better I would go for other brand laptop returning this existing problematic model. But before that I would try the last possible solution suggested to me by a technician, he told me to reset the BIOS. Will definitely try it the last time. I dual boot Linux and Windows and the problem is with both of them so resetting the Windows to factory default won’t work.