Thread: Graphics memory changed after replacing the motherboard in my Lenovo W510

Graphics memory changed after replacing the motherboard in my Lenovo W510

Once I was trying to update the BIOS in my Lenovo Thinkpad W510 which later on burned my motherboard. Then I sent the whole laptop to Lenovo service center in order to get the motherboard replaced. Now the thing is that they have replaced the motherboard properly and also sent me my laptop safely which is now working well but I have noticed one thing, my graphics memory is differing from what it was before the replacement. When I checked the graphic memory, it was 474MB which was actually 1000MB before I sent the laptop for the replacement.

I am totally confused what exactly went wrong. Is it the care center’s mistake and should I sent my laptop back to get the things corrected? Or else it’s just a minor misunderstanding by me which can be corrected manually.

Re: Graphics memory changed after replacing the motherboard in my Lenovo W510

All the Lenovo W510 thinkpad should compulsorily have 1GB or 1000MB of graphics memory in Quadro FX 880M graphics chipset. So make sure that your laptop still have a Quadro FX 880M graphic chipset present in it.

If the chipset in not the same then definitely they must have committed some mistake and must have given you the system board with some intel GPU graphics chipset. Till now I guess this could be the reason for such a drastic difference between your graphics memory of the chipset.

Hey I think you are facing the same problem as mine. Even I am getting some different value when I go on to check out the graphics memory of my Lenovo W510. Can I know from where you check your value? I am sure that we both are checking from the same source in order to know the graphics memory value which I believe is showing the wrong detail. I will let you know the place from where I checked my graphic space availability details:

NVIDIA Control Panel > View system topology > In System topology > Total memory

And when I went there it actually showed me the wrong value. It shows 90000MB of graphics space availability which is actually 89000MB more than what exactly I have.

Can anyone tell me any other alternative way of knowing the actually correct graphics memory?

Yes there is an alternate way to check out the correct graphics memory of your graphic chipset. Follow the below given steps:

• Go to NVIDIA Control Panel
    • System Information
    • Display
    • Dedicated video memory
    This will for sure give you the correct and the genuine value of your graphic memory which I guess according to you is some 1000MB.

It happens a lot with all the system, whenever we try to check any memory status from some different source we get a different value but there is always a correct path which actually shows you the correct value. It use to happen a lot with me, but I always prefer to use DirectX Diagnostic Tool which is actually shows me the correct number always whenever required. It’s very much simple to use, you just have to run it every time you need to know your graphics memory.