Thread: Do mSATA SSD works in Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e520

Do mSATA SSD works in Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e520

Anyone knows whether this mSATA SSD works in Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e520 or is it compatible with this laptop?

Actually I am planning to buy a new mSATA SSD as an external hard disk. But I am not sure whether it will work in my laptop or not. As far as I know there is an open slot present in my laptop where I guess the WWAN card can possibly get in. please friend help me to know whether I should go for this hard disk or not. And if yes then let me know what extra things to be done in order to install the SSD?

Re: Do mSATA SSD works in Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e520

Yes you can surely get it installed but for that you will have to install the Service Pack 1 before the graphic drivers. But I am not sure regarding the compatible issue or the working of the SSD. There are some know incompatibility.

I would like to give you some extra suggestion, in order to optimize you SSD with full extend you can use an intel SSD Toolbox.

Even I got an mSATA SSD for my Lenovo Edge e520 which was working very well. Then later on I installed intel Graphic driver but then after installing it when started the laptop I got a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). Actually I was supposed to install windows 7 64bit on it but before doing so I got such problem.

Believing that the issue must be due to the graphics driver, I uninstalled the driver and now I am using a standard graphic driver with a maximum resolution of 1024x768. I just wanted to know whether problem is only due to the graphic driver or it’s due to mSATA SSD which I installed initially.

Also please let me know how we can install windows and application on mSATA SSD without creating any issue so that I can move the libraries to the HDD.

I got my system working smoothly having mSATA SSD installed in it. Just follow the steps:

• Except the graphics driver let Thinkvantage System Update install all the drivers and software.
    • Now let the windows update installs the graphics drivers

After doing so everything will be working smoothly as in my case. Also use Intel SSD Toolbox in order to optimize your SSD as suggested above.

When I did it, I faced lots of problem also I tried lots of R&D while installing the Windows on mSATA SSD. I actually used a fresh copy with a different serial.

Initially I tried the recovery disks which later didn’t work. Actually I was trying to restore more than 30GB amount of data which I guess was more than the 30GB SSD which I have. So I dismissed it and did a fresh installation. I would also suggest you to upgrade your SSD with more than 30GB because having 30GB creates lots of trouble in order to maintain enough space on it.