Thread: How to set ringtone from a song in Nokia Lumia 710

How to set ringtone from a song in Nokia Lumia 710

I recently bought the Nokia Lumia 710 which runs on windows phone platform. As new to this OS I would like to know that how to set song as the ringtone in this phone. So does anyone have idea how can it be done.

Re: How to set ringtone from a song in Nokia Lumia 710

Even I am facing the same problem and for this I searched all over the net but didn’t find the solution that how can I set song as the ringtone in the windows phone. Because I love one of the song and want that song to keep as the ring tone, but the problem is that I am not getting option for keeping the song as the ringtone.

As using the lumia 800 first even I was looking for the same but after going through windows phone site, I found out that there are no such options avaible to set the song as the ringtones.

Here are some of the reasons only when you can set the song as the ringtone.

1. It only accepts MP3 or WMA formats for setting song as the ringtone.
    2. Song should be played less than 40 sec
    3. File should not be more then 1 MB
    4. Song should not have digital rights management protected

If you have certain things than you can easily set song as the ringtone.

For this what I did is cutted the part of the song which I wanted to set as the ringtone. Now after which I set the song as the ringtone.

As I was going to buy the windows based phone for myself and was going to buy nokia lumia 800 Smartphone but now seeing to this limitation I would be changing my mind from windows phone to android and not only due to this but there are several other reasons for which I will be going with the android Smartphone.

Actually in windows phone7 one cannot customize the ringtone and for this one have to take help of PC for this. And those who want to know how can one set the ringtones in the windows phone than one can refer from here.

Thanks Aalap... that worked just GREAT

GRRRRR. Just when I thought I finally found the solution. BAM another wall. I did what you said but "ringtone" did not pop up under GENRE...Jazz, Electronic, Classical, and OTHER did, so I clicked OTHER, then OK, then hit sync with the phone and it didn't show up under ringtones+sound under settings. The music/ringtones are on my phone, but I can't change them. How crazy. It seems like this would be soooooo simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffdigity View Post
    GRRRRR. Just when I thought I finally found the solution. BAM another wall. I did what you said but "ringtone" did not pop up under GENRE...Jazz, Electronic, Classical, and OTHER did, so I clicked OTHER, then OK, then hit sync with the phone and it didn't show up under ringtones+sound under settings. The music/ringtones are on my phone, but I can't change them. How crazy. It seems like this would be soooooo simple.
    Cannot you just simply put the ringtone by following the below method:
    1. Connect your phone to your computer using a cable, and then sync the file to your phone.
    2. On Start, flick left to the App list, then tap Settings > Ringtones + sounds.
    3. Tap the Ringtone list, then find the new ringtone you just added.

That's just it. I've done that, BUT the weird thing is the ringtones that got sent to the phone NEVER show up under Ringtones+Sounds. I have all the other ringtones that came with the phone, BUT not the synced ones.

By the way, thanks for replying James.

This is what you have to do Jeffdigity.

Add a ringtone to Nokia Lumia 710.

Connect your Lumia 710 to your computer via usb
    Open Zune software go to Collection > Music > Pick up the song you want to use as ringtone > Right-click on that music file > Click Properties > Make sure that file that you have chosen full fills the below requirement.
    • In MP3 or WMA format.
    • Less than 40 seconds.
    • Less than 1 MB.
    • Not protected with digital rights management (DRM).

Once you have checked above things, Right-click the file > Click Edit > Song Info tab > Genre > Type Ringtone > Click OK > Sync the file to your phone.

Use a ringtone on Nokia Lumia 710:
    Swipe left to the App list > Tap Settings > Ringtones+sounds > Tap on the Ringtone > Set the file you just added.

If you don't have the Zune software on your computer than you can download it form its official site.

Thanks Bippin. I am going to try that. As soon as I find my cord. I'll post back later.