Thread: Are Portable Hard Drives Safe For Laptops?

Are Portable Hard Drives Safe For Laptops?

I am thinking of buying a 1 TB of hard disk of Seagate or western digital. But I am not sure if I should buy the external hard disk with power supply or without power supply. Some of my friends say that using 1TB hard disk will draw lot of power from my laptop and can make my laptop battery unstable. They are not allowing me for buying this hard disk, what do you think about this. Please help me!

Re: Are Portable Hard Drives Safe For Laptops?

Whether to choose portable with power supply or without the power supply will depend upon how much and when do you use the portable. If you want to carry your portable with you then you should buy the one with no power supply so that you can carry it wherever you go, it will only consume your battery when it is connected. You can remove the USB when not needed and save the battery. If you want to use it at home then one with power supply will be the best for you.

In my opinion portables with USB connection are better. Especially because they are small in size, consume less power and you can carry them with you anywhere. They are also designed for efficient working. It also helps me for making back up every day after my work at office. I have settings for auto shutdown when I backup is complete. So when my backup manager completes the backup it also turns off the portable and I can just leave the place without have to worry about closing power. If you have portable with power supply then you will need to attend your computer till it shuts down and then unplug the power supply for portable. But it will also depend on for what purpose you are using it. If you are going to use all the way on laptop without any continuous charge then you will lose the battery in very few hours.

I am buying this portable for storing movie, songs and some documents. I have huge collection at home I would love to carry it along with me. I am only concerned about any bad effects it will leave on my laptop by using it for long time. Will it spoil the battery life of my laptop? I am also going to use this portable with my TV and home theater with USB connection! i just wanted to clear myself to you and the purpose I will be using this portable.

Using you portable drive continuously will not make permanent harm to your laptop but having it connected all the way will eat your battery power for laptop and you will always have to keep it on charging. Don’t make your laptop get used to it as this will surely have effects on your battery consumption. After reading your comments it looks like that you will be using it for entertainment only and it will be beneficial if you upgrade your internal hard disk instead of buying portable.

If you are thinking of connecting the USB powered portable to the music system , TV or to home theater then you will have to check how much power does the USB port on the TV or home theater provides to your portable. If you are going to but 1 TB of portable and if your system doesn’t provide enough power then it may not even work properly. Now days there are many USB portable drives available in the market that comes with power adapter also. So you should buy one of them to avoid any accidents with your portable drive.

I have desktop external drive with power supply. I bought it because I have heard of many USB powered portables stopping to work due to improper power supply. I have old computer with only 160 GB hard disk so I always use my portable for saving my work and also for storing movies. I am also always sharing my data with all of my friends so I connect it to the power switch at their home and start the sharing. Having power supply to portable also don’t put access pressure on your system and power supply.