Thread: App is not able to access the external SD card of Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7

App is not able to access the external SD card of Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7

Recently I have got Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7. I am happy with look and feel as well as performance of the above mentioned device. I noticed that external sd card is quite limited. Normal user app cannot access the external sdcard. By making use of connect bot I veified the permission and found that app were mounted on the os with system permissions. The internal sdcard was mounted as sd_rw. Can you tell me how can I correct the same.

re: App is not able to access the external SD card of Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7

I have also noticed the same issue which you have stated over here. Stock file manager is able to copy the file from the internal storage to external storage. I let you know that I was teanfer files to the external SD card by making use of Dooblou's Wifi Explorer.
    I really expecting that there should be new ROM with different file system. I am hoping that the developer would put the efforts on that as well.

I think you will need to gain access on external sdcard on Android 3.2. the SD card is mounted but it would have media_rw group and it would be linked to the WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE permission. There is no need of having such permission to external sdcard which has been released prior to Android 3.2 hence most of the file management would not request when they are running on the device. It means that it is having read access to the memory card.

Well I recommend following steps which you can perform to fix the matter of yours. Make sure that your device is rooted.
    • You have to navigate to /system/etc/permissions by utilizing root-enabled file manager and you have to take care of the thing you have mounted the File system with r/w.
    • Now edit platform.xml and look for WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.
    • You have to add additional grpup permission for <group gid="media_rw" />
    • Save the changes which you have made.
    • Restart the tablet
    • Once you have done, any app which is requesting for WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission would get group membership in both sdcard_rw AND media_rw. It will give them r/w access to both the sdcard filesystems.

I recommend that you should format the SD card into the tablet itself. After that I was able to transfer files. The issue could be happening because of mtp for Internal SD of tablet.

According to me there is need of having super user access on the SD card. I was able to access the external SD card by using Titanium Backup as a location of backup. Root Explorer can write into the same. I am not sure about whether there is something to do with sd card mounting to computer as a MTP device rather than that of MSC.

At very first glance it seems to be bug issue. in fact there is change in design with honeycomb which has been caught by very few developers. I assume that some of the tablet makers modified the .xml file in stock firmware.

If you are not able to fix the matter then it is better to contact the technical support team rather the playing with different solution to avoid the situation worse.