Thread: Can we update current Windows Phone 7 devices to Windows Phone 8 whenever it gets available?

Can we update current Windows Phone 7 devices to Windows Phone 8 whenever it gets available?

Well I am looking to ask really simple query to all the users of this particular forum and I am hoping that it will be useful to you. if I am using Windows Phone 7 device, can I run windows Phone 8 on Windows Phone 7 based device? I know that Mango is compatible with all the Windows Phone device available in the market and I hoping that this should be happen in terms of Windows Phone 8 as well.

Re: Can we update current Windows Phone 7 devices to Windows Phone 8 whenever it gets available?

As far as I know Tango is supposed to come in Spring 2012. It will be a small feature then that of Apollo which is also known as Windows Phone 8. It would be a major update in late 2012. If I am not wrong it would need a new headset to make use of Apollo feature.
    There are some blogs which are talking about the hardware specification of Windows Phone9. Hence I am assuming that there should be long time to wait to think about WPX. Also there is no announcement from the MS regarding Windows 8 is ported on WPX devices. However I am expecting that there will be close interoperability and convergence between Windows 8 and WP8.

Re: Can we update current Windows Phone 7 devices to Windows Phone 8 whenever it gets available?

I don’t think so WP 8 would run on WP 7 since the entire architecture would be totally different. But still we can wait for an announcement from Microsoft on the same.

I am not having idea and even there is no announcement from the Microsoft about the same. they are aware of that apple supports two major released on the existing hardware. That means original iPhone is running with iOS 3 and you can also install iOS 4 on iPhone 3G. so MS can try to implement that thing as well.

I do agree with you. we cannot expect that a user can move to WP 10 from WP 7 on the same hardware. However it would be really great thing if we can upgrade one full version from the another one.