Thread: Will Windows Phone Tango and Apollo support for SD card?

Will Windows Phone Tango and Apollo support for SD card?

I wanted to know whether Tango and Apollo would have the support for MicroSD card. if its is provided then I think it would be a huge selling point for the manufacturers. Post if you are having any useful information on the same.

Re: Will Windows Phone Tango and Apollo support for SD card?

In near by future internal flash memory would be more faster and stable. So I am wondering OEM would moved away for the MicroSD. I don’t think so there is any future to have an expandable memory as far as Windows Phones are concerned. it did not worked in Focus and that was the only device who supported it officially. WP does not make use of MicroSD cards as it has been used by computer or Android.

Well I am doubting that we will not have SD card support till next year. As operating system works and expandable memory installed on the device would not be seen as an expandable memory. It would looked same and it will be in static amount. If you have added memory the operating system should be reset and all the data should be wiped. After reset operating system would see the new amount of the memory installed and it will see the new static amount. The static amount of the memory cannot be removed untill and unless you wanted to reset the system.

To understand how OS is making use of memory is seems to quite tricky. Since it will need really fast ram. Most of the SD cards are not having the capability to measure the speed of RAM on the cards. It would measure the speed of the sequential access. In case the card is used for the sequential access than it would be difficult to work with RAM. Without measureing random access speeds there is no alternative to determine how card will work. Two identical card could work in different manner.

I don’t think so there will be any strange thing if manufacturer of Android device has started to work with the expanded storage. If there will be more cloud storage then there will be more data usage for the carriers. In iPhone there was constant increment in onboard storage from past couple of years.

The total amount of the memory made available is dependednt on the demand of it. the best selling of the models for the most of the phones tends to low GB versions.

According to me Microsoft should do something which will help to modify the system so that it can support extra storage. Rather than making the part of the OS it should be dedicated to media. Music, pictures, and video. I don’t think so it would be quite difficult to do the same. i think once they have done there would not be an issue regarding external storage.

We know that how WP7 treats memory. But I know that in some of the device it is working fine with 32gb install. It does not mean that it will be quite difficult to tweak the code in order to improve the compatibility. Because there should be capacity or we would not have any successful cases. Also the MicroSD card should manufacturer imprve there chips. Tweaking the code should be quite challenging since it change how code will see the memory.

If I am not worng OEM is having the access to memory which has been tested for the random access times. Here Microsoft and MicroSD card manufacturer can do something for all the users.