Thread: which one is better, Galaxy W or HTC Desire S?

which one is better, Galaxy W or HTC Desire S?

Planning to buy a new android Smartphone by next week. It’s my sister’s birthday next Monday, wanted to gift a Smartphone but I am totally confused as I have least knowledge regarding mobile phones. Consulted most of my friends, they all came up with different view and options and ultimately they confused me. I only good thing I did was listed names of most recommended phones and short listed them and now came up with two proper options; Samsung Galaxy W and HTC Desire S.

Now I desperately need your help in order to choose the best one amongst these two. So please friend have your opinion and comments on these two models and help me in choosing the best one amongst them.

Re: which one is better, Galaxy W or HTC Desire S?

I guess I am the best person who can comment on this thread as I already experienced these two phones. I am currently having HTC Desire S and my brother uses Galaxy W. comparing these two phones with respect to both design and functionality I can say that I am really not satisfied with what I purchased.

The best think I have noticed in Galaxy W is that it’s too fast and quick while accessing, also the applications works great. Also I have seen one thing that if you uninstall or delete the Samsung bloatware plus and other unwanted system application after rooting the phone, it works faster and quicker and gives you the best performance. But I think this phone won’t be able to get the ICS updates officially.

If you planning to spend more than an average price and wanted to go according to the latest technology then obviously you must for Samsung Galaxy W. Desire can’t have any competition with Galxy W with respect to the latest technology.

But anyhow from HTC Desire s the only best and positive advantage you can get is its RAM memory. There is a wide difference between both the phone’s RAM but other than the RAM if you check out the specification then yes of course Galaxy W take over the discussion.

Memory Specification:

HTC Desire S
    • Support – Micro SD card (up to 32GB)
    • RAM – 768MB
    • ROM – 1.1GB

Samsung Galaxy W
    • Support – Micro SD card (up to 32GB)
    • RAM – 512MB
    • ROM – 2GB

I already had a close look and researched a lot with these two phones.
    The overall look is pretty good of galaxy W where as the Desire S quite well built but it’s too heavy in weight as compared to galaxy W. all in all I preferred galaxy W look wise. Also screen wise again it’s the galaxy W, the touch of galaxy W is awesome and too smooth with no roughness and hard edges. One of my friend said that this time in galaxy W the designers have used a Gorilla glass for the screen, which I feel is quite impressive from Samsung. I am sure most of the people will agree with me with respect to the look, touch and feel of galaxy W which is undoubtedly mind blowing.

I think the big giant RAM of desire S is far more enough for this phone to win the race. Just remember one thing now a days people want phones which can handle multiple application at a time and even then it should be able to run smoothly without freezing or creating any unwanted behavior. And I guess this is possible only with higher RAM memory present in the phone.

I have seen number of people switching back to some other phones just because either it was unable to handle more than some limited apps or due to the defected RAM.

Yes my friend I agree with you, “more the RAM better will the performance”. But I think if you look out in Samsung Galaxy W the Ram space is more than enough for a normal end user. Even if you use the phone roughly with more stress then too 512mb Ram is pretty enough. If used with care and perfectly then definitely the available Ram space is quite OK for anyone. Take my galaxy S for example, I can keep about 14 to 15 applications running at the same time in the background along with making a call at the same time and still I can have 50 to 60 MB space available in my phone. And still my phone run smoothly without freezing or hanging.

For the existing version of android i.e. Gingerbread in Samsung galaxy W 512MB Ram is more than what is expected. It would never create any problem as already said by the designers of Samsung that 512MB Ram will be fine and compatible with the 2.3 version of android.

Anyways talking about the battery life of both the phone, I guess galaxy W has a good battery utility, its only possible if you uninstall bloat, initially with my new galaxy W fully charged the utility use to be about 16 to 18 hours but later once I removed the bloat I was able to use my phone for more than 19 to 20 hours without recharging it. Battery drainage is the most common issue amongst the people having smartphone, and once you face this problem there is no possible solution you can get other than changing the battery or something else. But I think galaxy W has a good battery life as compared to Desire S.

You are too old my friend, those times are gone where you use to get battery problem and you were suppose to change the battery and all. There are solutions for everything my dear. Let me tell you something, I have an htc desire s and I have been using Juice Defender application for my phone in order to manager my battery utility. So I need not have to worry regarding the battery issue and all. In fact let me tell you all that not only for battery but also for all other such issue android has provided some of the other application as a solution so be free and open for buying any android phone.