Thread: is it possible to upgrade firmware after rooting samsung galaxy w?

is it possible to upgrade firmware after rooting samsung galaxy w?

I rooted my phone as soon as I bought it from a retailer. My Samsung galaxy W is just 1 week old and I rooted it 2 days ago and it is working great till now. I rooted it without any customized ROM, just waiting for CM 7/9. Yesterday I installed kies 2.0 in my windows pc and then connected my Samsung galaxy. As soon as I connected my phone I found that there were new firmware updates available over there.

But now the problem is that I rooted up my phone and I am doubtful whether it is possible for me to upgrade the firmware. I am doubtful just because I have already uninstalled most of the system applications especially the Samsung Bloatware. Please let me know whether I should carry on with firmware update from my current update 2.3.6.

Re: is it possible to upgrade firmware after rooting samsung galaxy w?

Let me tell you one thing, updating from Kies might be too risky. I would better suggest you not to try it out, especially if you are trying to update your phone after rooting. Actually updating the phone after rooting doesn’t really have any negative impact on the phone until you delete some of the system based application while rooting.

And I guess you have already mentioned that you deleted some of the system application including Samsung Bloatware. So I would suggest you to better consult any expert person before trying out to upgrade your phone.

Even I heard that accessing your phone using Kies app creates some problem. Most of my friends had some issue while trying to update their phone, they use to get some error messages while they upgrade.

I personally prefer Samsung Ota and also I would like to suggest you the same in order get your phone error free updates. For your kind information let me let you that even I upgraded my phone which was already rooted and the phone was still rooted and normal even after it was updated. Samsung Ota is the same as Kies, you just need to have a wifi connection, and rest everything is too the same.

Thanks for the above information but let me tell you something, my concerned is whether it is possible to upgrade my phone even after the phone is rooted and most of the applications are uninstalled. Another thing I came to know is that the latest gingerbread update is 2.3.6 in most of the places and guess what I am already having this update. Is the fact about the latest update true?

Hey I think the update which you have mentioned will bring your version updated to “GINGERBREAD.XXLA2”. But I guess this update is not available in most of the countries as you said but only through Kies. I got my phone updated through OTA. If you try to update your phone through kies most probably I think there are chances of your phone getting unrooted. But that’s not an issue, because it is possible to root your phone again and you can easily do it using “Root via Recovery”.
    I think the “Root via Recovery” trick should work in this update also.

I don’t have much information regarding this latest updates and all but then too would like to tell you something with my experience. I am very much sure that there is a higher risk updating your phone. Neither Kies nor OTA but in order to avoid any such risks I would suggest you to go for odin, its more reliable and efficient than Kies and also OTA.

Better you try ClockWorkMod recover by arco68, it can do large number of work beyond your expectation. For your safer side you can do an android backup in order to avoid risk and further issues.

I have been already try to get more and more information regarding Clockworkmod as I am completely unaware about this thing and I seriously don’t want to take any further risk as I have already did lot of R&D without having any prior knowledge about those things and now facing the consequences.

I didn’t have any problem with the updates. I mean that I have already been updated my phone with the latest version though Kies in my Samsung galaxy W. in fact let me tell you that when I tried updating through OTA, the update failed all the way again and again but successfully done with Kies. But now I am concerned for the update of ZergRush root, I am very much irritated with the last version I am having.

Its better you learn the trick of rooting your phone through recovery because updating ZergRush root for now is not possible I guess. You can also do it through Clockworkmod.

Regarding Clockworkmod through Odin I would definitely like to tell that it’s very much easy to flash up your phone and then you also have the possibility of reflashing the stock recovery within a second or 2 seconds.