Thread: Is it possible to use iPhone 3GS with SIM card without data plan

Is it possible to use iPhone 3GS with SIM card without data plan

hi guys I have a question I am buying the iPhone 4S for me . So I decide to give my current phone which is iPhone 3GS to my father in case he need the phone. Now what I want to know can I use SIM card on that phone if I disable the data plan . I am on the family plan and my dad don’t have any data requirement. Can anyone here can help me on this , I would be really glad to know this

thanks in advance

Re: Is it possible to use iPhone 3GS with SIM card without data plan

Well all I can say it is worth trying since as soon as the AT&T will see the iPhone on their network with no data plan then they will add one for you . this is every carrier policy that the carrier need data plan for the Smartphone

Yeah this is true because I have already tried this and when I had the iPhone and I tried to use sim card with it but ATT detect my phone and added the data feature on it . I dint do anything about this but what I suggest you is do this and if ATT add the data plan the just call them and tell that you don’t want it . See what they say

Bummer this is really very disappointing I thought there might be a way around can anyone know that I am thinking if anyone here can help me get trough I would be really very much be glad

To the extent that I e familiar with, no, this is not possible , you can’t just keep you phone in any manner hidden. The reason is the IMEI (serial number) will recognize the handset as an iPhone device the moment you place the SIM card to it on the AT&T network - and after that the wheels start running . and I thing you can’t even change the IMEI this si not legal so you can’t do that in anyhow, so I highly uncertainty that there is any technique that help you on this situation.

I think you no need to worry about this I have already did this some 15 days ago with my iPhone 3GS and that phone is appearing on this phone ATT website but how ever I still don’t have data plan activated on that phone but if they activate the data plan I will ten accept it . its just I don’t like to see that I have to pay for something that I am not willing to pay for in any way