Thread: Dell N5110 not awaking from sleep mode.

Dell N5110 not awaking from sleep mode.

I recently bought the Dell N5110 and it is having very nice features. I am having problem in my Dell N5110. When I put the laptop to sleep mode, afterwards when I start the laptop I am unable to start the laptop from sleep mode. Is there anything which I am doing wrong. Can anyone provide me the details that how can I solve this problem?

Re: Dell N5110 not awaking from sleep mode.

I am having the same problem with my laptop with windows 7 installed. I was suffering this problem since last four to five months and was very disappointed with the laptop. I switched my laptop’s sleep mode to the hibernate mode. To make your laptop to hibernate mode here are steps.
    1. Open control panel.
    2. Select on the power options.
    3. Select Change Plan Settings
    4. Click on Change Advanced Power Settings
    5. In sleep after set it to never
    6. In Allow Hybrid Sleep to Never.
    7. Turn off the hibernate form hibernate after.
    8. Set the power and lid to hibernate.

I think that the display drivers are creating the problem. Updating the drivers should solve the problem. To update the drivers follow the steps.
    • Open control panel
    • Double click on systems
    • Select the hardware tab.
    • In hardware tab click on device manager
    • In device manager you will see various options from that find monitor.
    • In monitor right click it and select the update driver’s option.
    • Select yes this time only and finish the process.
    This will update your display diver. Restart your laptop and check for the sleep mode.

I had the same problem with my Dell N5040 laptop. I just turned off the sleep mode. It was this problem with my laptop since last four to five months. I told my friend about this problem and he advised me to turn off the sleep mode. To turn off the sleep mode follow the steps.
    1. Open control panel.
    2. Go to power options.
    3. In left tab you will see Change when computer sleeps option. Select it
    4. In that you will find two options turn off the display and put the computer to sleep.
    5. In put the computer to sleep change it to never.
    By changing this your laptop will not go to sleep mode even after closing it.

Andy: I had the same problem. I think I found the culprit to be Google Updater.

I used msconfig to stop Google Updater from loading/starting. I first tried stopping it but once it's loaded the damage has been done.

Spoke too soon. The probem came back and got worse to the point that it wouldn't hibernate either.

I returned it to 'factory state' and have re-installed the important stuff I needed.

I suspect that the original problem was something I might have done with a Windows 7 tweaker. So I don't plan on using it on this computer again.

I haven't installed Chrome again either. And don't plan on it until I have a full disk backup.

Muddypaws

Hi Muddypaws,

From where did you download this Windows 7 tweaker? I think that in this tool, there might be options for sleep mode or hibernating the laptop, but sometimes due to wrong coding in the software or some glitches (as it is not a genuine software), you might face problems, so uninstalling it by keeping the settings to factory settings would be a great idea.

It lasted about a week. Now it's all borked up again.

If I put it to sleep before using ANY application wt sleeps fine. After using MS Word, IE, or whatever it crashes.

The event log shows the following :

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {C97FCC79-E628-407D-AE68-A06AD6D8B4D1}
    and APPID
    {344ED43D-D086-4961-86A6-1106F4ACAD9B}
    to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Chasing down the CLSID and APPID in the registry did not lead me to anything I recognzed or could make sense of.

A laptop that crashes instead of sleeping is totally useless. Can't trust it.

Hi Muddypaws,

There is a detailed information given on how to resolve the kind of error that you are getting by granting the user permissions to start the COM component, which can be found here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899965

I should have posted a followup. I fixed the DCOM issue as described in the microsoft link right after I posted my last time but it did not stop the crashes. I am no longer getting any error messages in the log other than a critical power event when I have to hold down the power button. There are no minidumps either. The DCOM issue was not the cause of the problem.

Entering sleep mode shuts off the display, writes something to disk, and then appears to go into some kind of a loop that causes the processor to heat up and the cooling fans to spin at max speed and would continue doing this until the battery was exhausted. Shutting off services with msconfig made no difference. Shutting off start programs made no difference either. I'm starting to suspect that perhaps it's one of the 100 or so Microsoft updates that have been installed since I restored it to factory image.

I'm reasonably sure that the problem is not a hardware or BIOS issue. I've loaded Ubuntu on the laptop and it worked fine going into and out of suspend mode (Ubuntu's version of sleep).

Hi Muddypaws,

Why dont you try to remove the installed softwares on your laptop, one by one, and then check if the crashing occurs. Also, i suggest you to reset the heatsink by cleaning the thermal paste from the cpu and appying new ones. Also have you tried changing the Power Profile in the BIOS to the other one.

It seems to be a problem with the Centrino wireless N-1030 device. I found a post on Dell's community that suggested turning the wireless off before sleeping. It worked.

I've updated to the latest Intel driver and application but the settings allowed are somewhat limited. Still the same problem unless I manually turn the radio off.

I'm hoping there's a setting somewhere that allows the radio to be turned off automatically.

Turning the wireless radio of allowed it to enter sleep mode THREE times. Once again it is crashing every time it tries to sleep.

I guess my next step is to try a 100% clean install with no Dell software. Unless I decide to take it back.

Hi Muddypaws,

It definitely has something to do with the software's, so try opening msconfig and click click the services tab and make sure that "hide all Microsoft services" is checked. After that, you can click disable all, what it will do is that it should hide the needed ms services and disable all the other services. After that close the lid of the laptop to let Windows to go in sleep mode and then see if the system can be resumed again.

That was the first thing I tried and it did not lead to success. I posted about it here but it looks like some of my posts don't actually 'stick'.

The computer is in a somewhat workable state for now. I set up so that when plugged in closing the lid does nothing, and on battery hibernates.

Have you tried putting your laptop to sleep with every other peripherals disconnected from all the USB ports. If it wakes up fine then one of your peripherals is the problem. I would suspect it could be either the external modem or some other peripherals, so try this troubleshooting method and see what happens.