Thread: Can I use Asus Garminfone as GPS

Can I use Asus Garminfone as GPS

Hello friends, i wanted to know that can i use the Asus Garminfone for garmin GPS functionality. If i do not have any of the service on to phone. So does it is possible to do it or not, please guys tell me something about it. Thank you.

Re: Can I use Asus Garminfone as GPS

I am not sure about the point which you have asked. Whereas i was able to do updates of map via Wi-Fi connection of my local wireless router which is at home. I am not having SIM card which is working for phone. I am able to run offline maps which were been downloaded on to phone from various 3rd party applications. In that way i think that Garmin GPS application might work without any problem, i think it will not work for application which are for Google, because they needed a internet connection to be working.

I have used the phone and still using it in Germany. Using it with USA T-Mobile SIM and have turned off the data package, i use this sim card for GPS to locate Store to get German SIM card, but it was also showing me Vodafone store in the list. Once i have started phone without any SIM card, then that time it has asked me for "unlock code", which i was already having it with me. I have entered that code then it was working as normal. After that i was able to use the wi-fi and GPS without any problem.

It is important that you turn Data OFF when you are out of your country, i had the problem with T-Mobile US SIM in the phone. I was using that and it was deducting cost of Roaming Data Connection which has cost me very much, so you do not get same thing happen with you. I would like to say that you better have replacement (European) SIM installed and do confirm the operating unlocked, so that you are able to turn DATA back ON and also make sure that you are been under Data Plan by the European carrier if you are over there.

If you are at Germany then let me tell you that Vodafone of Germany as a pre-paid SIM card is been charging 1 euro a day for unlimited data. I was also having TIM of Italy which was FREE data for a month and if you use it at Brazil then that will cost you $15 for unlimited internet for a month. So i think it might help you to get it.

i have done it, you just need to unlock your Garminfone, I have done with mine with me. I have tired by removing SIM card and GPS was working proper with any of the car GPS,so you can try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kork View Post
    i have done it, you just need to unlock your Garminfone, I have done with mine with me. I have tired by removing SIM card and GPS was working proper with any of the car GPS,so you can try it.
    I have also trying to worked it for me, like removing the SIM card but i was getting only Emergency Number screen. So is there are some root method to be add it and might worked for you.

I think that the Garminfone which you are using is not been carrier subsidy unlocked, so you do not have to do it. So you need to get that done then only it will work for you, even if you are having some old SIM card which was unlocked you can try that and it will not hurt to install. So better try that.

If you are using Garminfone as GPS unit without having a working SIM, for me it is worth to do it point for doing maximize the battery life such that just turn it on to Airplane Mode. I have tried this method when i do not know that where i am and one thing which will work is GPS. If you switched ON the Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, data connection, and cell phone functional then battery of the phone will be down faster. It will be due to GPS and battery is been used more by Wi-Fi, data connection, and cell phone as there are been used continuously to search for any connection. If you switch to Airplane Mode then it will switch off all.

I wanted to tell that if you are going to do method then do not forget to download the necessary offline maps before you set out, which will be helpful for you