Thread: Need to Update Bios for Acer Aspire 4730ZG Using Thumbdrive

Need to Update Bios for Acer Aspire 4730ZG Using Thumbdrive

I am having Acer Aspire 4730ZG and I have been trying to install windows 7 on the same using a external hard disk as the original hard disk is corrupted, I am getting a error message between the process of the installation saying that "windows cannot be installed to this disk".This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk.Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu." So after this error I tried to switch to AHCI from IDE and vice versa as well by going in to the bios menu but then I don’t think that it made any difference. So I thought of updating the bios but then the other problem is that my laptop hard disk is not having any OS install because of which I am not able to update the bios normally as well, I have heard that it is possible to do the same using Thumbdrive so is there anyone who can help me with the step to create bootable thumbdrive for my laptop??

Re: Need to Update Bios for Acer Aspire 4730ZG Using Thumbdrive

In that case you can just try to follow the below article:
    • How to create a Bootable USB Key

I don’t think that there is a need to flash that BIOS using a bootable thumbdrive because I have not found Acer offering a USB installer download for the same, I Think that you should first try out clearing the hd and then you can have a Dynamic disk which can be converted in to a basic disk and in order to do so just follow the below thread:

You can try out installing with the AHCI mode first and after that try out the IDE mode, if possible check out the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools as well in order to solve the problem, just check it out and then let me know of it is helping you or not.

I have mentioned that I have checked out with both the AHCI mode as well as the IDE mode and below is the response that I have got:
    • AHCI- “Windows cannot be installed to Disk 0 Partition 1"
    • IDE- "No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation"

I have checked out for the drivers but then I am not getting which driver should I install, can you help me with the same.

As far as I am aware you should try out the AHCI mode after wiping the HD and even after resetting the CMOS, I have gave you some solution above but then I don’t know why you are not trying out them??

I have tried out your method but then it is still failing, I have checked that the Hd is having only 1 partition on it. I have tried downloading the bios update from the acer official site and it was " flash.bat,flashit and.exe,AL90_121.fd" and I have also made a bootable m-dos pendrive with the help of the above solution but then the problem is that the files that I have copied from the file to the pendrive is not running, I have tried to ruin it but then it is getting stuck on dos screen, I don’t think that I have missed any steps that was mentioned in the above threads, any further help for the same will be appreciated.

I just want to inform you that the bios update that you have downloaded " flash.bat,flashit and.exe,AL90_121.fd" which is bios AL_90 121fd 2-1-2010 is not the latest bios, the latest one is AL_90 122fd 8-9-2010 and if you want then you can get it from the below link:

Just download the same and see if it is making any difference or you are getting the same response as the previous one.

So now I have downloaded the latest update and I have also flash the bios in dos mode and I have also set the bios in order to use the ACHI. I have also tried to use the original win 7 cd and I am using Sata type HDD Samsung 250g which is having 1 partition but then I am still getting the below error message and the installation gets stuck in between:
    “This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk.Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."
    By now I have tried out with 2 hdd but then I still get the same error, I don’t think that there is some problem with the hdd that I have use.