Thread: "System" partition existing on a boot drive in Toshiba qosmio X505-Q870 laptop

"System" partition existing on a boot drive in Toshiba qosmio X505-Q870 laptop

I already have Hitachi 500 gig as a boot drive in my new Toshiba qosmio X505-Q870 laptop. Now what I did is installed a new SSD as a boot drive. I migrated the data to SSD from the Hitachi 500 gig.
    While doing so I noticed something and I have also heard many times that there is always a small partition of 1.5 gig existing with the name “system”. Now what I need to know is what exactly these partitions are for? What’s their purpose, as far as I know there two partition which are present in the pc with some purpose named main partition and the recovery partition.

Re: "System" partition existing on a boot drive in Toshiba qosmio X505-Q870 laptop

The first and for most thing is don’t think that it’s a useless partition. Better try to keep it in case if you are planning to delete it. The OEM machines have the system partition which is always active and contains the boot files; they are bootmgr.exe and the boot folder. So anyhow you are going to keep that unique partition because it plays an important role in all the system.

Re: "System" partition existing on a boot drive in Toshiba qosmio X505-Q870 laptop

The best thing is to create a clone of the disk and then restore the image to the new drive only after it is placed. The image of the disk can be created using the backup program. There is no doubt you will have to clone the whole disk. In the first sector of the first track contains the master boot record. This further has the partition table and this partition table in turn shows up the active partition. Hope you got it.

Hello, I have read somewhere about Windows7 that whenever we go on to install it, some important and most wanted files are placed in a separate and unique partitions. But after that I never heard about it from anyone. And now it’s quite surprising to know that a whole discussion is going regarding the same topic. Feels great.
    Even I cloned the whole original boot drive some few months ago but now I am totally surprised and taken back by the fact that during the whole installation there was a third partition existing which I was never expected to see until the Intel’s data migration software showed me.

Exactly my friend, when we go on to install windows7 to a null disk there is a partition created with a boot file, this partition is too small because it keep just small amount of data but really very critical ones. The disk uses the existing partition if the disk already has the active partition. All these things I came to know only after installing near about 6 windows7 systems.

Even I tried to replace the SSD drive in my laptop but I faced a problem after the installation. After the installation the system says that my configuration is neither having a secondary HDD nor its having a primary SDD. But I can see them in disk manager and in the main browser (windows browser). I am sure they are definitely there as I am using both the drives.