Thread: Macbook uses bandwidth without any running app

Macbook uses bandwidth without any running app

From last one week there is one very weird thing going on with my macbook. I have noticed that my Macbook uses bandwidth and I am not running any of the application on it. This is very strange as I have never seen problems like this anytime earlier to this. So I am not able to understand that what should I do in order to get this problem solved. Is there some problem with the macbook that I am using or is it something else. If someone of you can guess any solution for this then please let me know about that. I will be thankful to all the replies over here. Please help me.

Re: Macbook uses bandwidth without any running app

Just check and reply that what is displayed by the Activity Monitor. I think that you are having some email client activated to check for the incoming email. For this it always need to sync with the internet and for that reason you are getting this problem. To check this, just disable this for some time and then check if it does the same for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhadran View Post
    Just check and reply that what is displayed by the Activity Monitor. I think that you are having some email client activated to check for the incoming email. For this it always need to sync with the internet and for that reason you are getting this problem. To check this, just disable this for some time and then check if it does the same for you.
    Thank ypu for the reply, but I am not having email client activated on this and so this cannot be the problem. I think that there is something wrong with the settings but I am not able to determine that.

I would like to tell you that if you are having any of the widgets or gadgets and you boot the macbook then they get loaded in it and then keeps on running in the background. This widgets needs to sync with the server and for that they are using the internet connection. Other than this, there is one more possibility that you are having the Anti Virus software running in your system and automatic update is on for that. If this is true then it will automatically download the update files and will consumes the bandwidth. These are the two possible reasons for this.

When you get such thing next time then just put this in internet activity open Terminal:
    lsof -P -i -n | cut -f 1 -d " " | uniq
    When you do this then it will spit out each of the applications/processes which are consuming internet.

There are many few people who know that there will always be some data activity between the wireless access point/router and your computer. There is no problem with this, it is just the nature of 802.11 protocol.

It will be better for you if you contact to the service provider that you are using and they will tell you that what is the problem with that. I am sure that this is not the problem but at least you will come to know the reason for this. This is the best that I can recommend you.

It might be using the bandwidth to update the system. There is possibility that you have turned on the automatic update and whenever there is available update then it starts downloading the update and as a result of this the bandwidth uses increases.

Quote Originally Posted by Faiyaz9 View Post
    It might be using the bandwidth to update the system. There is possibility that you have turned on the automatic update and whenever there is available update then it starts downloading the update and as a result of this the bandwidth uses increases.
    Yes, this was the reason for this problem and now I have turned off the automatic update and this problem is no more. Thank you so much all for your replies on this. If somebody else is facing the same problem with this then he should also check for this condition as well.