Thread: manual keypad locking in sony ericsson w100i-spiro

manual keypad locking in sony ericsson w100i-spiro

The new sony ericsson W100i-spiro is amazing. I loved it, especially the look and its sound quality. The only thing I regret is the locking system. As you all must be aware that this model does not have any manual keypad locking system. I mean the keypad locking is not under our control. It’s like, whenever we put the slide down the keypad gets lock by itself and if when we keep it in a rest for a minute or two, it gets locked. But there is no such thing where the user can lock the keypad whenever they want. I don’t think it fair. I am not at all a technical expert nor does I am programmer but even then I wish to develop an application in java that will manually lock my phone. Any views or suggestion regarding my idea of developing this application?

Re: manual keypad locking in sony ericsson w100i-spiro

I am not a sony ericsson W100i-spiro user and not a technical expert too. But as far as I know most of the mobile phone has manual locking system. For that you need not have to download or install any application or change any settings. Just try pressing the star button at the extreme left button side followed by the top most extreme left button. Both the buttons should be pressed within a maximum gap half a second. Hope so it works.

I am not getting why you want to follow a long procedure just to lock the keypad of your phone if it’s possible automatically without affecting any of your program or application. I never faced or heard that auto lock or a sliding lock ever had any kind of impact on the mobile phone. Instead of breaking your head on developing an app for manual lock get a new phone which can have the manual lock system.

Even I agree, the auto lock usually works on home screen or on a walkman player, whereas in most of the other devices we can have access to the manual lock. Therefore the developer of these W100i-spiro types of phone makes the locking functionality in such a way that it would never cause any problem to the software or apps. If we are listening to a song the phone automatically gets lock, this does not stops the song from playing or if we are playing a game, the phone won’t get locked until you minimize the game. Everything is planned and logical in this phone so we need not have to worry about the locking system in the phone.

OK, so you people thinks that manual lock system is not required in such phones. what if the auto lock and slide lock gets repaired or don’t work? What would you do? Don’t think that I am trying to contradict your ideas but genuinely speaking I just wanted to let you all people know that this problem can occur with anyone.
    I am one of them; I changed 3 ribbons just because my auto lock not working properly and now it got totally disabled. My phone never auto locks the keypad by itself. I use the sliding for locking the keypad. Now just because of this I am facing a huge problem and I am truly missing the manual lock system for this phone. Anyways, can anyone suggest me any idea other than developing an application and all.

First of all I would like to say that the combination of star and the top most left button wont work for manual locking in this phone. If your auto locking system is not working efficiently take your phone to the service center, I guess they will make it possible by software update. Not sure but I heard that software updates can sort out the keypad locking system. Don’t try to do it by yourself, take your phone to the service center they will surely suggest you with the perfect solution.

Hope you know that sony Ericson W100i-spiro runs java applications. And java works as a sand box mode in this phone. You can directly use any java application you want in this phone, it’s just because those application are made to run compatibly with the phone. But you cannot create an application in java and try to run it in a java phone. It’s not at all possible my friend. java and symbian isn’t the same. Java is something extra ordinary.