Thread: how to add RAM into I-mac

how to add RAM into I-mac

I am looking to buy a new i-mac this Christmas, and I have already decided to add ram (4x2 GB) to my configuration, thus to make a total of 12 GB ram. I want to know that how much ram does the i-mac support, it is possible to have 12 GB ram with i-mac, whether it is possible to add ram before booting up the i-mac or not, and I have heared that it does make a difference how the new ram is loaded, please give me some suggestion about this ,
    configuration: 3.4GHZ quad- core, intel core i7, 4GB 1333Mhz DDR3 SDRAM- 2x2GB, 1 TB serial ATA drive.

re: how to add RAM into I-mac

Hi, the maximum amount of SDRAM you can install in your computer is about 16 GB, 4GB SO-DIMM in each slot , for the i-mac (late 2009 ) models ,you can use 2GB or 4GB RAM in each slot, for i-mac(mid 2010) and i-mac(mid2011) you can use 2GB or 4GB RAM of 1333 MHz DDR3 in each slot.

If you are using quad- core, intel core i7 , then You can add (4x2) GB RAM to your i-mac by following the steps easily as your both the top slots populated with 2x2 GB RAM , first you have to turn off your computer by choosing Shut Down from apple menuand disconnect all cables and power codd from your computer, using a Philips screw driver, remove the RAM access door in the bottom of your computer ,remove the access door and keep it set aside, if you are replacing a ram in the slots ,then gently pulthe tab to eject any installed RAM, than you can add RAM in the empty slots as you want ,once inserted press the DIMM up in the slot, and finally reinstall the ram access door. Reconnects all the all the cables and power codd to the computer,then start up the computer.
    You will definitely experience, total 12GB RAM on your computer without any problem.

Please remember one thing, first you have to boot your i-mac and check that everything is working properly Before adding 4x2 GB RAM to your i-mac, and while adding RAM make sure it doesn’t get any damaged and whether it is seated properly in the slot or not .take precaution as much as possible. if you have not boot your i-mac before adding ram to it, then it will not installed properly and will give you some kid of error after installation. So it is better to boot your i-mac before adding your ram.

I am having i-mac , quad- core, intel core i5, which has 2x2 GB RAM, now I would like to add 2x4 GB RAM to make a total of 12 GB , whether it is possible to do this ,and after adding it will worked properly or not. Please help me.

There is a panel on the bottom below the screen , you have to just remove that panel and you can find the 4 slots in which you have to insert RAM , must be aware that you have to place the 4x2 GB ram in the upper 2 slots and the 2x2 GB ram in the lower 2 slots , this means you have to remove 2x2 GB ram from upper slot and insert it into the lower slots. While making this replacement you have to very careful as they are seated very tightly always use Philips screw driver for this.

If you are having i-mac , quad- core, intel core i5, 2x2 GB RAM ,then you cannot add 2x4 GB because your i-mac having only 4 slots so it is not possible, but you can add 4x2 GB into the 2 empty slots to your i-mac to make a total of 12 GB and without having any issue.