Thread: after BIOS update sony Vaio-Y OS crashed and unable to boot.

after BIOS update sony Vaio-Y OS crashed and unable to boot.

i recently purchased the Sony Vaio-Y and it had great features. as i cam across some issues concerning my device, i decided to update the BIOS as per recommended by vaio update. at the time of making an update,my windows 7 crashed. i was not able to boot , no vaio screen, nothing . The fan starts but shuts down after some time, the power LED remains green, and there is permanent blinking of HD LED . i don't have an sufficient idea about that . please help me in this issue as i am finding problems with my laptop.

Re: after BIOS update sony Vaio-Y OS crashed and unable to boot.

i searched for your query on some of the sites and found that there were no options for recovery as Sony removed it all from their BIOSes, so the lone thing you will be able to perform is to reprogram the flash ROM. There is a need for soldering and a suitable SPI program device. Better get that fixed on warranty, Sony will possibly have a replace over your motherboard.

another option which i would like to suggest you is to go and look around some bios-mods. and i suppose there is a secret key combo for Insyde dead recovery. there will be a possibility of having a recovery section in the boot vector.

my warranty still pursues and I would rather not solder . but if you got some more tricks it would be great. i am with the Sony VPCY22C5E. any way thanks for the replies. i also wanted an update on my system. as i git my OS crashed. i am with windows 7 operating system.

removing the cmos battery or something related to it worked previously when bioses boot might have been powered by a battery continuously with the help of ROM backup to have a recovery. at present there are bioses which are flash memory based. there is no need of battery for data retention. the purpose of the battery is only for maintaining real time clock when power is shutoff.there is no other method other than to take it to a repair center and get the bios or motherboard replaced.

for an automatic reboot , you should perform the following operations.

1. with fat32 filesystem try to have a format of the USB Flashdrive
    2. try to have a extraction of the zip file to the root of the USB flashdrive and then make sure of the flashdrive, there should be the CadizCPX64.fd file only
    3. make use of the window's "safely remove" to unmount the flashdrive.
    4. in the prepared USB flashdrive, try for having Plug
    5. have a Unplug of the AC adapter from notebook
    6. have a removal of the Battery.
    7. Press and hold Windows Key and B together
    8. Plug in AC adapter at the time of holding these two buttons
    9. with the keys pressed and release the buttons once LED lights come on and then make a try to turn on the notebook
    10. The laptop beeps every second at the time of having recovery from the repair flash on the USB flashdrive

while considering the automatic reboot of your bios, the important thing which you should consider are the Mobo ID and the key combo. have a check of the actual BIOS. there is a case where you will find that most VAIOS do not have the option for having a recovery so it is a type of adrenaline rush at the time of doing mods.

there is a similar problem occurring in my case. i have Sony Vaio VGN-SR . I got a new battery that required a bios update. i made a try by running the programs off the local HD as instructed and it shut down the machine and it was not able to get back. i don't have enough idea about the running of the new bios file so I can try the flash bios as listed in the previous post.

i found finally that the hotkey is Fn+Esc keys to have a Boot Block BIOS recovery on Sony VAIO . i wanted to have a BIOS recovery so , i was trying to find a correct recovery procedure for Sony VAIO as i failed previously by trying with other methods.

further to state, according to me, BIOS patch is over 50 MB in size and does not contain any kind of proper BIOS within it. I suppose it could take ages to decompile for the BIOS upgrade tool to gather some additional information what it did to your BIOS.

there is no implement ion made by sony for the recovery procedures in all their BIOSes. so there is a case where all VAIOs do not tend to work . according to me the hokey combination's which i found for Insyde BIOS are:

Windows + B
    Windows + F
    and FN + ESC