Thread: How do i know that I am connected to a WiFi in Nokia Lumia 800

How do i know that I am connected to a WiFi in Nokia Lumia 800

I have recently bought a Nokia Lumia 800 smartphone. I use the Internet in the phone to access the websites, chat applications etc. As far as the limited plan is concerned the service provider has provided me the maximum amount upto 250 MB. If I have exceeded this limit than I will be paying more. When I am in the WiFi area, I connect the Internet using the WiFi. At my home I have installed the WiFi connection, and I use WiFi to access the Internet at home too. But when I get connected to the Internet my mobile screen shows the 3G as well as the WiFi symbol on the top. Then - how do i know that I am connected to a WiFi in my phone? Can anyone tell me that the data which is downloaded from the Internet is using the WiFi connection or it is using the 3G connection? Does this effect on my limited MB when it is using the 3G? and how to see that the how much data is consumed?
    Any suggestions………Please help…

Re: How do i know that I am connected to a WiFi in Nokia Lumia 800

I am also using the Nokia Lumia 800 smartphone past few weeks. Looking at your question I would like to tell you that Whenever you are in the WiFi area then the Internet will use the WiFi Connection before the 3G Connection. As far as my knowledge is concerned I would like to say you that the application cannot decide to make the usage of the 3G Connection when there is the availability of the WiFi Connection.
    Let me tell you something more related to this. There is some error that whenever you are not using your phone or to make it more clear lets say your phone is in the standby position then even if you are in the WiFi Zone than the phone will use the 3G connection. This will result in losing your limited MB.

Really appreciated by your comment….Your comment helped me to learn about the Internet Connection of my phone. I have one more question too. If I am using the USB cable to connect my phone with the PC then is it considered to be used since the battery of my phone is charging using the USB cable when connected with the PC. Can anyone has a answer for this?

I would probably like to say that, the simple way is that you can disable the option of the mobile data cable when connected to the PC. This will enable that you are using the WiFi Connection to connect to the Internet.

I don’t think so there is any function available to tell that how much that has been used so far. I have searched on the Internet a lot about this but I did not get the solution. The Android also do not provides this function to tell that how much data has been used. I have searched on the Android market and there are applications present that records the usage. There are also applications which disables the 3G Connection when your limit is reached.

I have checked with the provider and there is an application on my Proximus Belgium called as the "Hello Proximus" which tells about how much data has been used.
    You can contact your provider to ensure about the application which tells about how much data has been used.

Yes, there is an app called as the “Your Orange” that tells about how much data is used. I use the same app in my Nokia Lumia 800. This app also gives the information about the how much minutes are used … Its an awesome app of the Orange UK. You can try this app…….
    I hope this helps you….