Thread: what will be better for Iphone 4s, activating as new phone or restoring form backup?

what will be better for Iphone 4s, activating as new phone or restoring form backup?

I have recently ordered an Iphone 4s and it will be arriving soon, I just wanted to know that what will be better, activating as new phone or restoring form backup? I have checked out for the same and I have found varying answers for the same, so is there anyone who has tried both of them or has an idea about it and can help me out as well??

Re: what will be better for Iphone 4s, activating as new phone or restoring form backup?

I have recently ordered an Iphone 4s and it will be arriving soon, I just wanted to know that what will be better, activating as new phone or restoring form backup? I have checked out for the same and I have found varying answers for the same, so is there anyone who has tried both of them or has an idea about it and can help me out as well??
    I think that I can help you out here because I have recently tried out the same, actually previously I was thinking of doing a restore from back up just because I did not wanted to lose any data, Below are the ones I was concerned about:
    • Text messages
    • Apps and settings
    • Bookmarks
    • Camera roll pictures

But then I thought that I won’t have much problem in getting them back again, so then I activated my phone as new phone and I think that it is just doing great, if even you are concerned with the same then I think that you should go for “activating as new phone”

Re: what will be better for Iphone 4s, activating as new phone or restoring form backup?

I have not tried out the same but then I had tried out “restoring form backup” and I really did not had any issues at all and I have re-added the apps that I needed. If you want then you can try out the same. I don’t think that there is much difference between the “activating as new phone” and “restoring form backup” until you make something wrong.

I think that I can help you out here because I have recently tried out the same, actually previously I was thinking of doing a restore from back up just because I did not wanted to lose any data, Below are the ones I was concerned about:

Text messages
    Apps and settings
    Bookmarks
    Camera roll pictures

But then I thought that I won’t have much problem in getting them back again, so then I activated my phone as new phone and I think that it is just doing great, if even you are concerned with the same then I think that you should go for “activating as new phone”

Hey you have specified that that there is no problem in gaining the Text messages, Apps and settings, Bookmarks and the Camera roll pictures, I was able to get the Text messages, Apps and settings, Bookmarks but then I am not getting a way to transfer my Camera Roll to a new iPhone 4. I mean I have checked out for the same and the only solution that I have found is making an album in iPhoto called 'Old iPhone Camera Roll' and after that synchronizing the same but then I just wanted o know if you have an idea about merging both the Camera Rolls into single?? Any help regarding this will be appreciated.

As far as I am aware the other way to transfer the Camera Roll from one phone to another is by the backup/restore process but then if you don’t want to try out the same then you can try out the method of “making an album in iPhoto called 'Old iPhone Camera Roll' and after that synchronizing the same” to the phone that you want. I don’t know if there is a solution for “merging both the Camera Rolls into single”, I will check out for the same and I will let you know I find a solution for the same.

I have found that apple is having some support documents in order to transfer information from an old iPhone to a new one, if you want then you can check out the below ones:
    "Transferring information from your current iPhone to a new iPhone"
    "iPhone and iPod touch: About backups"

I think that restoring from backup is a better idea because I have done the same and I really did not had any issue with it. The only problem was about the apps but then I don’t think that there is a big deal in re-downloading them. I have done the same and my phone is just working great. If you want then you can try out the same.

Thanks for that but then I am having the below doubts regarding the “restoring from backup”:
    • If I am re-downloading the app that I had previously before the restore than will I have to pay again for those apps??
    • Are there any possibilities that I may run in to some problem if I do the restore from back up and then try out activating it as new phone??
    • I have found some people saying that restoring from back up affects the battery life, is it really so??

As far I am aware I am not very sure that you will be charged for the paid apps that you might lose and download the same after restore, if it is a free app then get the same from apple sites without any problem. Other than this you can perform the “activating it as new phone” after the restore and there won’t be any problem if you done get messed with the setting, As far as the battery is concerned I don’t think that there is any harm caused to the battery after restoring from back up. I have not heard the same before.