Thread: Laptops are very fast due to High-end TDP Processors

Laptops are very fast due to High-end TDP Processors

I have just got a new laptop which is running i7-2670QM CPU. When I checked the benchmark scores of this laptop I was really surprised. The score was 6790 on the i7-2670QM. At the same time the score of the desktop CPU AMD 1090t is 6060. I know that both processors are meant to be the same but laptop is really awesome. The good thing is that these processors don’t catch fire easily even if you lack with coolers or fans.

Re: Laptops are very fast due to High-end TDP Processors

The advantage of this new approach is that the computer with a cooling system will be particularly valuable to have more performance driven. The news will affect the low-voltage processors (Ultra Low Voltage) and the next-generation Extreme Edition. In these two cases only the TDP will be replaced by three separate values: the TDP rating, a lower one called "CTDP-down" and the highest "CTDP up", both configurable.

Ivy Bridge will be the first Intel processor to have a TDP (Thermal Design Power) configurable by the manufacturer. Intel had already hinted at Computex, and confirmed by the IDF during this week, where it also revealed interesting details about the integrated graphics. All the chips made so far by the Santa Clara were set to a maximum value of TDP, which e.g. for notebooks is most common in a range between 35 and 45 watts, while the desktop goes up to about 65 W (Sandy Bridge).

The chip manufacturer has expanded its product range at the upper and lower end of the price spectrum expands the respective model. The most striking feature is the Core i7-2960XM for notebooks.
    This Sandy Bridge CPU operates with a base clock of 2.7 GHz and when loaded with only one thread per turbo boosts up to 3.7 GHz. The 2960XM will dissolve from the 2920XM with 2.5 to 3.5 GHz as the fastest notebook CPU from Intel. In the current version of the price list inserted in the older processor a mistake, it has been specified with the base clock of 2.7 GHz.

I honestly do not see the news: there are already more processors are essentially identical except for the Vcore and clock frequency (and therefore TDP) and today for "transforming" from one to another just a simple overclock / downclock, and between the other is already done dynamically by the various energy-saving technologies / turboboost (he does have my ancient Pentium M).

One thing is clear: the multi-core processors are the future. It simply requires more extensive support from the software used, and already in the aging single-core chips will be efficient technically absolutely no chance. Those who can afford it and wants, which is highly clocked quad cores are already well served, but it should not be forgotten rapid development of hardware in that direction.

The TDP is the typical value for the dissipation of a processor. As TDP-labeling provides the Intel processors behind the three-digit model number or with one or two letters.

The AMD E-350 is a processor that offers moderate performance, decent graphics and relatively low energy consumption. A number of notebook manufacturers like HP, Asus and Lenovo have launched this year with this processor computers. Now AMD is working on a new model with more power than before. AMD Fusion E-450 will have more powerful graphics and CPU clock speed slightly higher, while maintain the same 18W TDP. The new processor will also feature Turbo Core technology, which can accelerate a single nucleus, while slowing the other to improve performance on tasks that really do not take advantage of multi-threading modes, all without sacrificing much of the life of the battery. The clock speed of the GPU will also increase from 508 to 600 MHz with the use of Turbo Core.

These future processors for servers and workstations engraved in 32 nanometers will have a feature known internally as Interlagos and Valencia that will allow adjustment of the TDP demand. In short, enough to reach the best compromise between performance and energy consumption, but also enjoy more flexibility at installation level.