Thread: New wd tv live 2011 can play 3d movies and bluray menus or not?

New wd tv live 2011 can play 3d movies and bluray menus or not?

I am willing to get the New wd tv live 2011 but then I just wanted to know that will it be playing 3d movies and bluray menus or not because by now I have been getting varying answers for the same. I think that it can play as it is having a strong chipset but then I am not very sure about it. Is there anyone who has an idea about it? Any help regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: New wd tv live 2011 can play 3d movies and bluray menus or not?

I am willing to get the New wd tv live 2011 but then I just wanted to know that will it be playing 3d movies and bluray menus or not because by now I have been getting varying answers for the same. I think that it can play as it is having a strong chipset but then I am not very sure about it. Is there anyone who has an idea about it? Any help regarding the same will be appreciated.
    I don’t think so that it will be playing 3d movies and I think that just saying it without any kind of source is really not an answer to such questions. So no one should answer the question on their prediction. I have not yet found any official saying that it will be or it is capable of playing 3d movies and bluray menus and if I find it then I will post it here. If you are aware of any official addressing these then please share it with us as well.

So you all are saying that there is no chances of playing bluray movies menus on any wd media player with the wd tv live 2011. I don’t know that why is it so I mean that I have found a no of media players that have the realtek chipset are capable of playing 3d movies and bluray movies as well even though they are not that strong as compared to the sigmatech chipset. I think that there should be a work around. Will it be possible after firmware updates and all?? Is there anyone who has an idea about it??

Is there any need to tell you one more time that the New wd tv live 2011 won’t be playing 3d movies and bluray menus?? And if you are saying that you have come across a no of players doing so then I will really like to know that which media player you are talking about or which media player you are referring to?. Even I have came across some media devices which are capable of streaming BD with full menu amnd they are using realtek or Sigma 864x series and they also have built-in BD support but then I will like to know about the device that you were talking about??

Xtreamer is the very first one and there are some more as well, and now I really don’t want to her that the western digital is not capable of getting the same for their product, I mean that if they really don’t then it will be the biggest disadvantage as compared to the other media players in the market.

I think that you have not made a good research until now, I mean if you are saying Xstreamer and many more then just be specific to some of the devices and mention them as well and as far as the Xstreamer is concerned I will like to inform you that none of them is having BD Menus support and if you still do not believe then you can just go to their forum and recheck it. I will also like to add that I have found a device named “Prodogy” and it is said to have menus support but then it has not been released yet and I will also like to share that it is just having support for menus and not for Full BD menus. Just take a look below:
    The PCH200 ($300) - supports menus
    The NetGear NeoTV 550 ($200 )-supports SOME menus
    Some Dune HD models ($300+)- supports menus.

Yes I agree to you completely, even I have found that almost all the Sigma players that are supporting full BD menus then they are having SMP864x series chipsets or the realtek ones, I have not came across any other player that is using the same chipset that are supporting full BD menus, so I think that there is some king of limitation to the chipset and it is not any kind of issue with the WD. The other thing that I wanted to share is that the reason behind the wd not implementing this functionality is because they want to keep their device cheap and I don’t think that there will be any disadvantage if they don’t even implement it, where as if you are saying that Xtreamers will be playing BD menus then there will be a huge difference between their cost as well so I don’t think that you can compare them at all.

Even I have come across the following ones that are said to be supporting the BD menus:
    • SideWinder 2
    • Prodigy
    • Utlra

I have gone across their reviews and I have found that the SideWinder 2 is not playing it well because there were many people who had mentioned that the pictures is freezing up and it is even lost some times and it is having the same chipset as that of the Prodigy, so I think there are possibilities that it will be having the same issues as well.

Hey thanks guys for sharing this detail information with me and clearing my doubts as well.