Thread: Dell XPS 15 battery life with intel i5-460 and NVIDIA GT 420 GPU

Dell XPS 15 battery life with intel i5-460 and NVIDIA GT 420 GPU

– Hi, I just wanted to know about the battery life of the machine i have mentioned in the title as in that I have installed Intel i5-460 processor and NVIDIA GT 420 GPU so whether the performance is good or the battery drains quickly? Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: Dell XPS 15 battery life with intel i5-460 and NVIDIA GT 420 GPU

The XPS 15 is offered with either a 6-cell or 9-cell battery. And thus over here i have mentioned about the configuration which comprises the 9-cell battery, which executed pretty fine while still maintaining a uncontaminated flush appearance on the underneath of the notebook chassis. In my personal opinion with the screen brightness reduced to 70% and keyboard backlit disabled and wireless on and stimulating a webpage each 60 seconds, and Windows 7 set to the Balanced profile the XPS 15 and with such configuration i have worked with the machine for 7 hours and 20 minutes. For a notebook with an higher midrange processor and decent dedicated graphics, according to me the one which i have gotten is pretty good.

are you about to get this machine or you have already bought this? because see as you must be aware like comparing to XPS 17 this machine has very good GPU and processor support, but at the same end you can have good CPU but quite lesser ranged GPU with the XPS 17 but you can have tremendously good battery life, if I am not wrong then i have heard that the machine can last the batter up to 11 to 12 hrs max, which is sufficient enough for the notebook machines.

I get 2hrs with a game playing and music playing, 80% brightness. Easily 4hrs with max power saving and non-intensive works, that's with a 6cell. Thus in your case if you're looking at 6hrs+ with 9cells.

I would like to recommend you that you should have a glance over here as well, like they have also discussed about the same thing.

well, there are so many factors that could change the battery performance of the machine you have, i mean to say see though you are having very good machine but still see if you have to make use of the feature such as Bluetooth or WIFI constantly then surely the battery draining will be faster than the usually determined. Thus see if you are making use of any such application then i would say the laptop could strive for 6 to 7 hrs maximum.

But still as there are various factors as mentioned already, so if you work tweaking through those factors then you may get very good performance with the product for sure.

well, there are so many factors that could change the battery performance of the machine you have, i mean to say see though you are having very good machine but still see if you have to make use of the feature such as Bluetooth or WIFI constantly then surely the battery draining will be faster than the usually determined. Thus see if you are making use of any such application then i would say the laptop could strive for 6 to 7 hrs maximum.

But still as there are various factors as mentioned already, so if you work tweaking through those factors then you may get very good performance with the product for sure.
    Exactly i am agree with the above user, in fact i wont only consider those mentioned feature but along with that the most power consuming hardware that’s the GPU could also either save energy or drain energy. I mean to say if suppose you are like to play the games for more hours so obviously the battery draining will be with higher ratio or else you can get it up to 7 to 8 hrs for sure with moderate use.

actually relies on the battery as well. I've got the 6 cell model and with that I get anywhere from 4 hours to 1 hour depending on what I'm doing. But still as you are having i% installed but instead i have installed i7 and with that i personally believes 4 hours is rocking pretty hard for a machine with this much power.

The L502x is a immense laptop and I've had zero troubles with it so far. Kind of bulky but not that greatly., but still i am agree with the above user as XPS 17 would give you better battery life if you are concerning that thing only.

I haven’t bought the machine yet, but still after seeing this it seems like for better battery performance i should get the XPS 17 model instead of this one, isn’t it? And really thanks for the suggestion.