Thread: How to install second HDD in Dell XPS 1647

How to install second HDD in Dell XPS 1647

Yesterday i have got Dell studio XPS 1647 from my friend. He told me that he will not use it much. When looking into manual, i came to know that there may be additional place to install second HDD. I store huge amount of data. I dont know whether it is the right thing for this laptop or not. Can anyone let me know about it?

Re: How to install second HDD in Dell XPS 1647

Normally, the procedure is available in the manual at Dell Support (to everyone). Changing the hard drive in a laptop is easier: to remove a screw and a housing in hard drive. Without the RAID is not necessarily an error, you can probably have the location for two hard drives (you will have to be a special connector, dell do with the time of your purchase).

All laptops are SATA to date and 2.5 inches (Attention to the height which is standard in our notebooks, but not necessarily among hard drive manufacturers).

There may be 2 slots for hard-drives in this system. In that one may be still empty. So you can put two.But the main thing you need to worry about is whether the mounting bracket for the second hard drive is provided or not?

Normally, most SSD drives are formatted as 2 "5. So it should fit no problem.
    By cons, it would change the order of priority to select the SSD boot before the hard classic. If you do not have disk support, just ask for technical support. He should send it to you free of charge.

It's great if I can add my disk without depriving me of the warranty. On initial disk partitions, I know I can partition it, but it disables the system restore because it usually works in connection with the initial partition sizes of the disk.

If you buy it new at DELL, take the RAID option, which, even if you do not use it, will allow you to add a second HDD on your machine. If you do not take this option, you will always have the location for the second HDD, but not the owner nor the SATA cable caddy, which are super super hard to find spare part later.

I was once asked by Dell 2 years ago because of the guarantee, then it was only drummed to expand the memory. The support meant it would not be a problem, the warranty stays intact. I think that falls into the same area as wireless card or just swap drives change in your case / expand.

Unlike other manufacturers, so the installation of the SSD is not a warranty, and I can not imagine something that changes your little mishap!

Just for info you have the right to dismantle the computer without losing the warranty. If you change components, it is normal that Dell does not guarantee but it does not blow up the general security of the PC. It's like the disk partitioning, it does not break the warranty. You can even install anything but Windows on the computer and you will always be guaranteed. To tell you the Dell laptop from time to time it is good to clean the fans and for that on some machine you really have everything apart. This operation and it does not break the warranty, we'll even provide a manual for it. It works the same for a tour.

No there are no other openings, just the thing for the ram. And battery.
    For the guarantee, it is useless, I already call service today and they could do nothing for me.
    So, I will open it. What I wanted to do this afternoon, but I did not know how.

You will need another drive bay. And if this is available, you should be able to identify themselves. Most of them or maybe few laptops have to know when, then most are also two hard drives installed. Then an exchange would, of course nothing in the way.