Thread: Dell Inspiron 14R N4010 Wireless not working with Ubuntu 11.10

Dell Inspiron 14R N4010 Wireless not working with Ubuntu 11.10

Ubuntu 11.10 has successfully installed in Dell Inspiron 14R N4010 . After the completion i have rebooted the system and checking all things one by one to assume that everything is working fine. But i was wrong. Wireless was not working at all. The "Additional Drivers" tool shows "Broadcom STA wireless driver".. I went to install the drivers once again but shows me error message "Sorry, installation of this driver failed. Please have a look at the log file.

Re: Dell Inspiron 14R N4010 Wireless not working with Ubuntu 11.10

The way I see that your firmware is not loaded, are the following reasons.
    • The distribution does not with the firmware (like Debian), but the firmware is already included in Ubuntu, so I infer from this time.
    • or your hardware is blocked look even know if you have a WLAN switch that may be turned off (sometimes even with the key combination fn + f2).

Yes you must be wired ethernet because as long as you do not run your graphical session, the wireless connection is not established (presumably you have configured via network-manager which is itself started when your graphical session is started).

I have tried several routers and I feel the same, can not find the wifi.

I have also tried to find a hidden wireless network, but neither is ... and is therefore from the phone if I use it without problems.

It has to be some conflict between some old file and another is installed again, but dont know what is.

I've just installed the system from scratch on the PC and the Internet for trying ubuntu 11:04 instructions for installing the wlan be found. Unfortunately I have not found it. I've been using the wireless on Linux also have no experience.

Maybe the iso is corrupt, even if they are links to official sites should always check the integrity of the iso with md5sum , it may be that the problem is that, I have to tell me that any problems are always released in iso initiating live or installation, I have never encountered the boot disk creator has refused an iso on a "preventive" . From your first post I read that everything is created by the inability to connect to wireless. it seems to me that many people have had problems with that device, try doing a search on the board in connection and configuration of networks, we might find something useful.

You must open synaptic package manager and just look there (not quick searching) to backports. Then install the; linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic wireless and after a restart would he must work. The driver packages that manufacturers (and eminent Ralink) offer you very difficult to compile yourself, where you again many more files somewhere in the copy must compile actions, it certainly does not beauty prize. That, 148f: 3070 shows only the vendor and product id to, there you can to seek it Internet google / linux to retrieve them, not in your package manager.

Ubuntu detects most but not all wireless cards, because not all chip makers release operating data, which drivers need to program. But you have a good chance that your wifi chip is recognized by ubuntu. Open a terminal and type iwconfig command: the system will tell you 'in response if found and recognized a wifi device on the computer. If there 'you have to configure it: System Menu - Administration - Network. If the chip is not recognized does not mean that Ubuntu has the driver but there is a program called ndiswrapper with a procedure that allows a little complex to use windows drivers.

I do not use ubuntu, but the syntax should look like. First, make sure you have installed wireless-tools. Without this, run sudo iwconfig from the terminal and see if there is a device already recognized by the system. If there is already and is detected, install wicd to configure it. Otherwise,

What wireless card do you have? USB or internal?

I've already searched the forum here and on other sites, in vain (I tried many things) and installed as a driver (subsystem property / hardware / Advanced Driver). The driver is called "Broadcom STA wireless driver", and the information is to follow exactly the Broadcom BCM4312 wireless card. Before I installed the drivers when I entered the command "iwconfig" the wireless card appeared under the name of wlan0, then (and rebooting) named eth1. Turn the switch on the netbook itself, of course I have to "ON", after several changes but also nothing. Stands at the network icon in the top radio networks, "Wireless networks are disabled by hardware switch," which indeed is not really the case.

In most cases, wifi devices that are usb, coupons or cards pci pcmcia, have developed drivers for Windows only. The manufacturers of these cards do not release the source code and therefore no developer can implement drivers for Linux.