Thread: optical drive is turning off automatically due to power saver in Toshiba satellite A660

optical drive is turning off automatically due to power saver in Toshiba satellite A660

I have been using Toshiba satellite A660 and I was having problem with the Optical drive previously because of which I was not able to burn a disc but then I was able to solve it somehow and now the problem is that I am not able to get the optical drive to stay on when I need it Optical drive automatically turns off due to power saver. Is there any solution to get it work whenever I need? Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: optical drive is turning off automatically due to power saver in Toshiba satellite A660

I have been using Toshiba satellite A660 and I was having problem with the Optical drive previously because of which I was not able to burn a disc but then I was able to solve it somehow and now the problem is that I am not able to get the optical drive to stay on when I need it Optical drive automatically turns off due to power saver. Is there any solution to get it work whenever I need? Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated.
    There is nothing to worry about it what all you have to do is just go to the advanced power settings and after that just set the optical drive power management to “on” and make sure that you do the same for both plugged in and battery power and after that you should not face the same problem. Just try it out and then let me know if you are facing any further problem.

Re: optical drive is turning off automatically due to power saver in Toshiba satellite A660

I had came across the same solution in a forum and I had tried out the same and I had made sure that I am setting the optical drive power management to “on” in both plugged in and battery power but then it is not making any difference. I think that this solution is not working for me because my computer is randomly turning it off and on and I have also found that I get an indication of the same by a pop up bubble in the right side of my task bar. Other than this I have also tried to use the fn and change the settings but then even it is not making any difference. Is there any other solution that I can try out?

Hey I am having the same problem and even I have been searching around the web to find a solution of the same but then I have not got any luck yet. It do makes me think that it is something to do with the Toshiba ODD Power On/Off Utility but then I am not very sure about it because I have found a no of people having the same problem and everyone is pointing some other reason for the same problem and that is why it is quite confusing the sat about the actual cause of it. I have also tried out a software name fix it to get rid of this issue and when I run that app then I it was working well for some hours but then after that the same on and off case started and now I am really running out of ideas and I don’t know what to do but I really want to solve it out somehow so any further help will be appreciated.

I think that I can help you out, just try to follow the below steps and see if your problem is solved or not:
    • First go to start and then click on run and then type msconfig in the command prompt and then you will get a window.
    • Now just click on the services tab And after that just Scroll down and then un-check TOSHIBA Optical Disk Drive Service and TOSHIBA Power Saver.
    • After doing that just go to the startup tab and scroll down and un-check TOSHIBA Power Saver and then close the window and reboot and you are done.

After this the problem should be solved but then if you find any problem then make a note of it and then let me know for further help.

Before I suggest you something I will like to know the following things, so just answer them for further help:
    • Go to the Device Manager and after that just expand the DVD/CD-ROM drives and then double-click on the drive and then just check what status you are getting.
    • The other thing I wanted to know is that have you installed any third-party optical-drive readers or burners on your laptop.

Ok I have checked in to the device manager but then the cd/dvd tab is not listed and I have also checked that the optical drive is turned on and I have also rebooted the system a no of times but then it is not making any difference and it just says that there are no drivers installed for this device but when I am clicking on the driver tab and then when I look at the driver details then it appear as if there is a driver installed so I am getting confused and when I am clicking on the update driver then it just says that the windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date and this is really leaving me out of ideas now. As far as third party burner is concerned I am having iTunes. Any further help will be appreciated.

Your problem really appears to be weird, can you just post the screen shot of the driver tab and the driver details so I can just check them out and find out what exactly is the problem.

Just take a look at this:

I really want to get rid of this as soon as possible so please help!!

I think that there might be some kind of loose connection but then I am not pretty much sure about it and the only last thing that I can suggest you is to restore the hard disk to its original with the help of the Toshiba recovery media and if there is some kind of software related issue then this will solve it out but then if it does not then I think that you will have to contact the service center for the same. Just try it out and see if it is making any difference.