Thread: Really bad news: Nook Tablet is efuse locked and bootloaders signed

Really bad news: Nook Tablet is efuse locked and bootloaders signed

Well as the title of this particular thread is saying what I wanted to discuss over here. I have purchased Nook Tablet and come to know about that efuse locked and bootloaders signed. So let me know whether the above mentioned thing is true or false. Let me know if you are having any speculation on this particular matter. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Really bad news: Nook Tablet is efuse locked and bootloaders signed

In this particular situation I wanted to tell you that one will be able to boot from the microSD if I have format the same as that of the Nook Color. Also you should copy MLO, u-boot and boot.img renamed to factory-boot.img. USB boot is supposed to enabled and as if the SD boot.
    Also you are going to have the serial port which will allow you to do u-boot console and shell after the booting of the operating system.

I wanted to tell you that the x-loader is signed. You should aware of the thing that is known good x-loader on the microsd will not execute and the next item into the boot list will be checked. Also u boot is signed . why I am saying because the known good u-boot from the Pandaboard which will be close enough to boot since x-loader would take the code path where you are going to have the secure rom call which is having the pointer to image returns nonzero. kernel and ramdisk are seems to be signed individually into boot.img. I will be able to modify the byte into boot.img on microSD which is running in the middle of the kernel or of ramdisk section and u-boot is supposed to fail with the exact call which is using the x-loader is supposed to use the validate u-boot.

Well I am sure about the thing is that the developer of the device have made some kind of the back door which will allow you to get the 'boot off SD' mode on the device of yours.

I agree with the you. however I am wondering that there is an issue with the blindly skipping the SD card but not looking on the signed image on SD card. If that is the case the developer of the device with SD cards which will have the properly signed image which will not need any kind of the tricks.

If the device manufacturer is looking to signed images to boot from the SD card. Well I am wondering that there could be different method which will be useful to change the bootloader. We are aware of the thing that is most of the phone are not supposed boot off from the SD card. But still you are having ability to change the bootloader. So far I don’t hope that there will be support from the device manufacturer on this particular matter.

After going through the post of yours I wanted to tell you that x-loader is on the NT source code package and the page is saying CH would allow to skip x-loader. There might be need X-loader for the another boot scenarios.
    Loading the same kind of the image will not be possible in case it is not having CH and it can take the different kind of the path.

well if you are supposed to boot the system by simply sending command 0xF0030002 which is not the command to overwrite bootlist. That particular command is to begin the boot sequence. In this particular situation Id would be the curious thing to see and what you are thinking by looking TABLE 27-20. You will also have the Booting Messages into TRM which will be helpful to do something. You are going to have number of devices in the market. So fighting for the locked bootloaders with the tricks such as kexec would become less and less.

If the information provided in this particular thread is no enough to satisfy the requirement of yours than I recommend that you should contact the official service center and ask for the further help on this particular matter.