Thread: Could I use WIFI with data roaming off on BlackBerry Bold 9700

Could I use WIFI with data roaming off on BlackBerry Bold 9700

I have BlackBerry Bold 9700 smartphone and it provides wifi type of attractive features. Now my family is planning to travel abroad. I want to use these wifi features of the mobile phone during this international travelling but the problem is different. I wish to turn off the data roaming of phone but use this wifi during travelling. Can this possible on such highly configured smartphone?? Thanks in advance for any help.

re: Could I use WIFI with data roaming off on BlackBerry Bold 9700

I would be suggest to you for check when the network of sim card is being turn off, whether this wifi work or not. This will be gives you indication that your phone work on this non network conditions. This is very simple process. For doing turn off network of sim card simply go to Home-> Manage connections-> turn off Mobile Network. Then test the wifi connection on your smartphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahalingam View Post
    I would be suggest to you for check when the network of sim card is being turn off, whether this wifi work or not. This will be gives you indication that your phone work on this non network conditions. This is very simple process. For doing turn off network of sim card simply go to Home-> Manage connections-> turn off Mobile Network. Then test the wifi connection on your smartphone.
    You can also use set Data Services to `Off When Roaming` in this situation. It will be work to check the wifi connection should work when roaming is off on roaming zone. Mobile Network will be gives you this option. Try this and check what happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Aachman View Post
    You can also use set Data Services to `Off When Roaming` in this situation. It will be work to check the wifi connection should work when roaming is off on roaming zone. Mobile Network will be gives you this option. Try this and check what happen.
    I don’t think so that there is any problem to access wifi after turn off data roaming. But the above mentioned process is also help to you for recognizing whether it works or not. This is my personal thinking but it could be change depends upon the smartphone.

Quote Originally Posted by HamsiniI View Post
    I don’t think so that there is any problem to access wifi after turn off data roaming. But the above mentioned process is also help to you for recognizing whether it works or not. This is my personal thinking but it could be change depends upon the smartphone.
    The best way to do this would be to turn your mobile network radio off until you need to make a call. There is no need to turn off your data roaming during travelling. You can set the mobile network off and at that time access this wifi on travelling. Use this strategy during the international travelling. This will be work to save the call charges during travelling and also access functions of the mobile phone. its an money saving strategy for your phone.

Re: Could I use WIFI with data roaming off on BlackBerry Bold 9700

Last week I also faced similar kind of problem. Then I try to use the above mentioned process. i select "Data Service off when roaming". After that I try to access wifi connection. Surprisingly it works and WIFI connection work on my smartphone. As per my own experience, I am sure that this wifi connection work even data roaming is turn off in international roaming zone. You can also try this process and check its result on your mobile phone.