Thread: How to block OTA updates in nook tablet

How to block OTA updates in nook tablet

HI, I am using nook tablet in that don’t know exactly which OS Is installed but still I have heard that the tablet used to update the firmware installed in it without any knowledge. But this is really a crap, as we should at least get informed as the update is available, so do we have to update ?

Anyways I am not sure what they are up to, but still is there anybody knows how to block such update for the device so we can have it whenever we want. Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: How to block OTA updates in nook tablet

I am not sure about the same but still there could be some option for refusing such updates in the device, have you gone through all the options and the settings regarding that?

You should make sure as there could be some function or setting by means of them you can refuse the OTA update.

There is a simple technique for the same, I mean to say you should try to deactivate the internet connection whenever not in used, so that the device will not be able to update the firmware as it exclusively needs an internet connection for the same.

I've seen altering build.prop, by means of sqllite, and varying the name of the otacerts file. Doesn't seem build.prop is suitable at this point until someone gets a hold of one with the fresh update. But I don't wanted to drop my root. So, what's the consensus?

Here are the 3 mentioned:

1. Rename OTA Certs
    2. Use Sqllite
    3. Edit Build Prop

The build.prop is sort of untried but appears to be working so far from reports.

I'm a slightly perplexed at this point. Can B&N in reality force an update on you? Or is it like the iphone, where they inform you that an update is obtainable and then you decide whether to update or not?

I'm little cautious of a company that would force an update to my device no matter whichever it is, without letting me make out or giving me the option to refuse. Is this really how B&N works? If so, I don't know if I'm going to keep my Nook Tablet. I prefer to decide whilst I want update, not leave it in someone else's hands.

Anyone know anything about this? Please let us know about the same because I am about to buy this tablet after some days.

I'm a slightly perplexed at this point. Can B&N in reality force an update on you? Or is it like the iphone, where they inform you that an update is obtainable and then you decide whether to update or not?

I'm little cautious of a company that would force an update to my device no matter whichever it is, without letting me make out or giving me the option to refuse. Is this really how B&N works? If so, I don't know if I'm going to keep my Nook Tablet. I prefer to decide whilst I want update, not leave it in someone else's hands.

Anyone know anything about this? Please let us know about the same because I am about to buy this tablet after some days.
    You as far as I know you don’t have a alternative, the update will come into view and update your device. if you look in the nook color thread there was a work around to put off it I believe. similar way google market would auto update without a workaround. I ran cm7 off of sd and kept stock nook so i didn't actually care. I haven't rooted the tablet nevertheless since I'm betting b&n will patch the ambiguity and I wish for to observe how things play out. if it is accurate they locked the bootloader to get netflix hd.

Well I'm not excessively technically savvy, so if I can't pursue any of the methods to block OTAs, then I guess I'm going to have to return the tablet. It's a enormous device but I don't like the idea of unexpectedly being not capable to make use of 3rd party apps that I paid for from Amazon, as well as apps that permit me to watch divx files, etc. I wasn't even planning on rooting, I'm okay with just sideloading apps. But if B&N removes that capability, that to a great extent decreases the value of the tablet, unhappily. Might as well return it while I'm still within my 2 weeks and look for out a device that's somewhat fewer preventive.

It's a disgrace since I've been looking for a tablet for a long time and I actually thought the nook might be the one. I guess the search still carry on.

– I have also heard that the sqqlite method is the most excellent. But still I am not sure as whichever threads I have read yet have not confirmed that it works on NT. Anyways thanks for the suggestions guys.