Thread: How is "Switchable graphics" supported on HP laptops via BIOS setting or via Catalyst driver?

How is "Switchable graphics" supported on HP laptops via BIOS setting or via Catalyst driver?

I wanted to know that How is "Switchable graphics" supported on HP laptops via BIOS setting or via Catalyst driver? . I have found that through the Catalyst drivers there is no way to disable the built-in Intel HD graphics permanently and then use ATI Radeon HD graphics card. I think that it should be through the BIOS or driver but then I am not sure about the same as I have heard that it needs custom-built HP driver. Is there anyone who has an idea about this and can clear my doubts as well?

Re: How is "Switchable graphics" supported on HP laptops via BIOS setting or via Catalyst driver?

I wanted to know that How is "Switchable graphics" supported on HP laptops via BIOS setting or via Catalyst driver? . I have found that through the Catalyst drivers there is no way to disable the built-in Intel HD graphics permanently and then use ATI Radeon HD graphics card. I think that it should be through the BIOS or driver but then I am not sure about the same as I have heard that it needs custom-built HP driver. Is there anyone who has an idea about this and can clear my doubts as well?

I will like to inform you that the "Switchable graphics" is a feature that is supported by BIOS where as the switching is controlled by the driver and you are wrong there is a way to permanently disable the built-in Intel HD graphics and then use the ATI Radeon HD card of your choice but then you will also find ATI-ATI switchable graphics which is on AMD units but then you can download the drivers from the ATI directly.Just take a look below:

Re: How is "Switchable graphics" supported on HP laptops via BIOS setting or via Catalyst driver?

The screen shot that you have posted is showing a custom-built HP version of the Catalyst drivers so I just wanted to know that if I will set my display adapter to "ATI Radeon HD5450" in my BIOS settings then can I install and use the latest ATI Catalyst drivers and not the hp one because I have found this release note which says "The following notebook graphics products are not supported in this release: Switchable Graphics enabled notebooks using Intel chipsets." So I just wanted to confirm that id I install the ATI-provided Catalyst drivers, will I be able to use the Radeon HD5450 through the BIOS setting or not?

I have found that switching between dynamic mode and fixed mode will be possible from the bios settings.I mean that the dynamic mode will not support open gl and overclocking but then it will work with the hp's driver and I will also like to inform you that can permanently disable the built-in Intel HD graphics and then use the ATI Radeon HD card as there is an option to switch between the gpu’s in the fixed mode.I will also like to share that disabling the intel card in the 61xx models is not possible.

So in short you are saying that it won’t work on my laptop because my laptop is having Radeon HD6770m Graphics and it is also not having direct connection to the graphics card as well. Is that what you meant above??

So in short you are saying that it won’t work on my laptop because my laptop is having Radeon HD6770m Graphics and it is also not having direct connection to the graphics card as well. Is that what you meant above??

You are getting me wrong actually I am saying that you can force the applications and the games or the software’s that you use to use the ati card here I mean to say that both the gpu will be active and you can do this very well through the bios updates.If I want to say it in simple word then the ati card will do the processing but then it will put the results in the intels gpu memory and that will be further rendered by the intel card on the screen. Hope you got my point now??

I think that I have found a solution for this. Just follow the below steps:
    • Go to the BIOS menu and after that just press the ESC followed by the F10 and you have to do it just as the computer turns on.
    • After that look for the switchable graphics option and then set it to "Fixed" after doing that save and then exit.
    • After doing so right-click anywhere and then just click on the switchable graphics and then choose the ATI Radeon card that you want and you are done.
    • Just check it out and then let me know if it is helping you as well. Best of luck.