Thread: Ebook reader for HTC Titan

Ebook reader for HTC Titan

Recently I have switched toward Titan from Android, therefore am fresh to Windows phone. I have a huge compilation of books previously downloaded. As a result I would like to just copy them to the mobile phone - taking benefit of the giant monitor! I can come across no approach stated on the Web otherwise Microsoft sources to accomplish this. By way of the Apps on Marketplace you must download every one fresh from the sites. Help would be very much valued.

Re: Ebook reader for HTC Titan

The Windows market is frankly a bit disappointing to me. The range of (Dutch) apps is limited and for most of the fun and useful apps to be paid. I also miss a lot of apps that I use on my SGS. For a number of apps for free (read: advertising) offered on Android, it’s only a paid version available in the WP market.

The HTC Titan lives up to its name: It features a 4.7 inch screen, making it the largest ever with Windows Mobile touch screen (diagonal 11.9 cm). In the phone lies a 1.5 GHz processor. It is equipped with two cameras: an 8-megapixel camera is located on the rear panel, a 1.3-megapixel camera on the front of video telephony. Microsoft Office Mobile and Microsoft OneNote preinstalled. By using this you can read Ebooks easily. Also found on the smartphone applications like Windows Live Messenger or social networking sites.

Google has announced that more than one million eBooks for downloading to offer in EPUB format. All for free. Try this one and I hope that this format will work on Your phone without the use of any additional apps.

It appears to copy ebooks to phone harder than I expected. Even with Mango is not possible to own Office documents or eBooks (eg EPUB format) on the appliance. These functions are missing unfortunately Zune. Through Google I found two ways to view Office documents and ebooks on the appliance. I find this very cumbersome and hope that Microsoft comes up with a solution quickly, allowing files to or from the device easier to copy.
    • An e-mail to yourself send the attached files, with the limitation that most mail servers allow attachments up to 10MB. Thus it can be difficult for multiple or large documents on the appliance.
    • Dropbox to copy from the phone in an Ebook reader and Freda. Several ebook readers have the ability to transfer files from Dropbox to your phone to copy. A Dropbox account is necessary in this case.

Windows Phone has several readers available. In my case Freda app allows free ebooks from various sources to download. These are usually classics whose copyright have expired and hence can be offered for free. These books can be used to experience or reading an ebook is for you.

I give it directly. If Android user I am accustomed to a wide range of free apps, with or without advertising. It is therefore not a fair comparison I make here. But I do it consciously; because I think a large part of the potential WP7 users currently have an Android device available. I wonder if these people ever go to Windows Phone will switch when WP versions of the apps they use today, or missing (again) be purchased.

TomeRaider is an efficient environment that lets you view all kinds of ebooks or ebooks on your PDA. The program highlights, above all, being able to work with weighty documents, e.g., encyclopedias, travel guides and extensive dictionaries of definitions. This latest version includes a system that speeds up the uploading and viewing of documents, e-books can be charged either as HTML pages and is even capable of displaying images.

In short, TomeRaider is a powerful solution for viewing on your PDA, all kinds of ebooks or electronic books.

The ezReader reads ePub, HTML and plain text files, and more formats are also supported in subsequent updates. It's a very simple reader, which incidentally entirely free from the Marketplace to pick up, and just released today is fresh. WP7 has no easy way to get files is to set (except the media files supported by Zune).

The Freda e-book reader allows you to download your own epub (or txt) books onto your phone from DropBox or Skydrive (only from public folders). DropBox is probably the easiest way - just create a (free) DropBox account, then put your book files into the DropBox folder. Tell Freda your DropBox details, and you can then transfer your books onto the phone.

You can also use the Calibre ebook software to share your ebooks between your PC and your phone, by setting up a Calibre content sever.