Thread: Is it possible to activate the GSM/WCDMA radios on Motorola Droid Razr XT910 / XT912?

Is it possible to activate the GSM/WCDMA radios on Motorola Droid Razr XT910 / XT912?

Hello friends, I was thinking to purchase the Motorola Droid Razr XT910 or the Motorola Droid Razr XT912. I was planning to activate the GSM/WCDMA radios on either of the phone, so is it possible to do it and also if it is possible then please tell me about it so that I can purchase the phone and activate the GSM/WCDMA radios on it. So kindly give suggestion about it. Thank you.

Re: Is it possible to activate the GSM/WCDMA radios on Motorola Droid Razr XT910 / XT912?

Both versions have a chipset GSM / WCDMA / HSPA, but the capacity of GSM has been disabled on the phone from Verizon. Interestingly, the RAZR uses the Qualcomm MDM6600 ... that is capable of all the mentioned networks. As for the activation of the GSM radio in the Verizon edition ... My assumption is that it will require some custom kernel...

Re: Is it possible to activate the GSM/WCDMA radios on Motorola Droid Razr XT910 / XT912?

The RAZR uses IT OMAP4430, which has no built-in radio. There is no explanation why the Verizon edition has GSM / WCDMA radios.

The MDM6600 is in fact a modem and not a SoC if that's what you were judgment. It is utilizes in every of the current Verizon phones, including iPhone. The functions of WCDMA / GSM have been disabled by the firmware and SIM blocked on all U.S. carriers on this product. This power amplifier is in fact quad band 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, as shipping, the Bionic is restricted to merely CDMA2000 850/1900 in the U.S., on the other hand, I have little doubt This device could also be used with the four-band WCDMA, with some modifications. FCC documents also speak of the WCDMA functionality is disabled.

I was thinking the same line. I have a photon and GSM bands are blocked from being used in other U.S. companies. It has been argued that the files of the radio are what need to be changed / hacked. I wonder if the premise that to be the same as I would love to make this a world phone...

AMSS change is really dangerous and do not think it possible, even after opening the boot loader such as the radio is protected with another "lock code". It should be opened only in engineering devices.

Loading GSM radio on it will not brick as the chip is the same, MDM6600. The problem is that the burden: the radio Bootloader different (than the AP boot loader which opened with the CSI update) will not allow the firm.

But from what I understand, the phone is able to use GSM and CDMA networks in the box. Otherwise, when they went to other countries would not be able to use the phone. However, Verizon has agreements with several suppliers around the world to offer GSM service. And I think I remember seeing my device information page, while my Verizon online access to my bionic, a number that appears as the PUK sim unlock code. That may or may not unlock the phone to other sim cards, but I remember clearly see there. So check the device information page on My Verizon. I presently thinking I'd share, because some of the responses overlook because people simply do not address the proper channels. I included. For example, he knew the RAZR reset procedure is explained on page 2 of this manual? He had already Google’s before reading it, both in the printed manual and built-in help file.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaganvihari View Post
    But from what I understand, the phone is able to use GSM and CDMA networks in the box. Otherwise, when they went to other countries would not be able to use the phone. However, Verizon has agreements with several suppliers around the world to offer GSM service. And I think I remember seeing my device information page, while my Verizon online access to my bionic, a number that appears as the PUK sim unlock code. That may or may not unlock the phone to other sim cards, but I remember clearly see there. So check the device information page on My Verizon. I presently thinking I'd share, because some of the responses overlook because people simply do not address the proper channels. I included. For example, he knew the RAZR reset procedure is explained on page 2 of this manual? He had already Google’s before reading it, both in the printed manual and built-in help file.
    Yes, it has the capability, but Verizon has disabled ... The PUK code is for the SIM card. Thanks for your input, but the crux of the matter is, someone who really needs to get into the system for GSM / WCDMA enabled...