Thread: How much space do I require to allocate partitions in Thinkpad for Linux Mint 9?

How much space do I require to allocate partitions in Thinkpad for Linux Mint 9?

I'm setting up a colleague old Thinkpad with Mint 9 (or conceivably mint 10). I could take every available opportunity to set it like a champ with split partitions for /root and /home, which could make it simpler to recovery his data and settings need to we should reinstall newr on. But also after I'm determined to be the fellow doing the work, ought to it happen, I need to make it simpler on me. Situation is that the machine just has a 40g hard drive. I know he's not set up to be installing different types of programs, basically a browser, some music applications, a DVD player, and OpenOffice. I'm attempting to resolve what amount of space to dispense to /root so I don’t' need to resize it in a few months.

Re: How much space do I require to allocate partitions in Thinkpad for Linux Mint 9?

The extent that I am concerned 15G could surely be plenty; I utilize 10G combining /home. Anyway please note, not incorporating /data. A disconnected /home will work provided that you need to Reinstall, but it should not work (properly) assuming that you ever would like to update. A separate /data (i.e. with all your data on it and nothing else) will work in both cases. So I could try for a 10G / partition (including /home) and after that a 30G / data partition which you mount through fstab following you have installed.

Re: How much space do I require to allocate partitions in Thinkpad for Linux Mint 9?

Data is anything that you have made or downloaded or generally made (music, systems, indexes, letters, anything). A standard /home holds all that + arrangement files and folders (they are stowed away by default) and they are what destroys all items provided that you attempt to update to a new version (resulting from the fact that as a general rule running new programs with old config indexes is a grave thought-it off and on again works, but not invariably, I have witnessed numerous individuals falling of this).

Thus, does that mean I should compose a third partition? Or is it true that you are declaring that "/" will hold "/root" and "/home", and that the general user documents (mp3s, and whatnot.) can automatically be saved on /data? And then if this is the case, how does the OS know to do this?

Move all your data to the /data partition manually (it just ought to be finished once). Since you are talking on the subject of a new mp3 for example ones you download, then that data will just go where you tell your program to put it, so you set the default download registry to /home/username/data and that is where it will go.

I could constantly pre partition. So in your case first copy any data that you feel the need to keep some other region else. Then open gparted and parcel the pnew into a few partitions one 10g one 30g (I will collect that your OS will call these partitions /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 but provided that it settles on something offbeat then modify the emulating charges subsequently). Introduce Mint into the 10g partition and verify it boots. Open /etc/fstab as root and join the taking after line:
    Code:
    /dev/sda2 /home/username/data ext4 defaults 0 1
    Open your /home/username folder and make a new folder called 'data' (without the commas). Now reboot again and verify that the data folder is receptive in /home/username.

The preference of a particular /home partition is that it will recovery each setting that you ever made for your users. The disadvantage is that it will recovery each setting you ever made for your users. Consider why you should reinstall. Something worked toward getting decompounded somewhere and that “somewhere” would be in your /home file.

It keeps on putting it where it always has in /home/username. That course, as altair4 stated, provided that you 'befuddlement' was created by the settings in your /home/username folder then your reinstallation will settle it. In the event that you utilize reinstall with the same /home/username folder the situation should still be there.

Numerous individuals appear to manage with a separate /home as restricted to /data, however I attempted it once and it was a bad dream for me, evidently for Altair and Fred as well. Disconnect /home partitions but this is possibly being as how I run with numerous Linux distros on this box and making a few divide home partitions could when its all said and done create me to start irritating.