Thread: My Dell OptiPlex GX280 is reading DVD burner as a CD drive

My Dell OptiPlex GX280 is reading DVD burner as a CD drive

I have been using a Dell OptiPlex GX280 and it has been working fine by now but then I was having problem with it while reading the cd may be it was because of the lense so I got a DVD burner from form one of my computer which was less in use and when I connected it and it was getting recognized as a burner but then when I am inserting a cd to it then it is automatically getting changed in to a cd rom I mean that it is getting recognized as cd rom after I put the cd. Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: My Dell OptiPlex GX280 is reading DVD burner as a CD drive

I have been using a Dell OptiPlex GX280 and it has been working fine by now but then I was having problem with it while reading the cd may be it was because of the lense so I got a DVD burner from form one of my computer which was less in use and when I connected it and it was getting recognized as a burner but then when I am inserting a cd to it then it is automatically getting changed in to a cd rom I mean that it is getting recognized as cd rom after I put the cd. Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated.
    I will suggest you to give me detail information about the hardware are that
    • you are using:
    • Processor and ram?
    • Burner that you are using?
    • Which one is the master and which one is the slave?
    • What is the power supply?

Just try to answer me all this so I can understand your problem and help you with it.

I am having:
    • Dell Optiplex 280 and it is having a XP professional as its operating system.
    • 2 gigs of DDR2 ram and Pentium 4 CPU 3.6Ghz.
    • Burner (Lite-on Hap422) and tower (LG GH22 DVD drive).
    • As far as the master and the slave is concerned burner is the master and the DVD rom is the slave.
    • Other than that I am having 2HD installed 75gig WD and a 500 gig WD and the power supply is a 305w.

I will suggest you to change the slave and the master sites and then check if it is making any difference and if it is possible I will suggest you to try to get another dvd burner and then try to connect it to your computer and you can also do the other way round I mean by connecting the dvd burner to some other computer.Just check this all out and see if you are getting any difference and if yes than note it down and then let me know. I also wanted to know that while connecting it have you experienced any error message.

I will suggest you to change the slave and the master sites and then check if it is making any difference and if it is possible I will suggest you to try to get another dvd burner and then try to connect it to your computer and you can also do the other way round I mean by connecting the dvd burner to some other computer.Just check this all out and see if you are getting any difference and if yes than note it down and then let me know. I also wanted to know that while connecting it have you experienced any error message.
    No I have not experienced any error messages and may be that is the reason that I am not able to find out what is the problem and I forgot to inform you but I have already tried the below steps:
    • I have tried to check out for the codecs for both the drives and have also updated them.
    • Tried to remove the both the upper and lower filters as well.
    • Tried to use another dvd burner as well.
    • Tried switching the slave and the master.
    • I have also tried to flash both the drives and I have also uninstalled it and then reinstalled it.
    • I have updated the DivX and have also downloaded the Dell driver manager to be at the safer side but then unfortunately none of them is helping and the problem is still the same.

I am facing the same kind of problem with the Dell OptiPlex GX280 but not exactly the same and I am using window 7 as my operating system and I have been facing the same problem since a couple of months and I have not yet found a solution for the same and I am really surprised to see that you have tried so to make it work but then even I would have tried if it would have actually worked. I have the similar situation and the main reason that I am not able to burn a dvd is that it is reading the dvd as cd. I have also tried a no of solution to get it work on my machine itself but then I have not tried to use an external dvd burner in order to get it work somehow.

Yes even I have the same problem with my Dell OptiPlex GX280 and I have found a lot of other people having the same problem but then I have not yet found a working solution for the same by now I have tried to use the Internal Ide as well as the external usb and I have other burners on some other pc in my house but then I have never faced the same problem before. I have also tried to change the cord connectors and other than that I have also tried to reinstall the drivers as well as I have tried to use the different programs as well but at the end the problem remains the same. Any further help will be appreciated.

First of all I will like to inform you that Windows XP cannot recognize a blank DVD just because the XP burning function works only for CD and in order to do that you can try to use the Third-party software and see that if it is helping you out.

Even I have similar problem with the Dell Optiplex GX280 SD but not exactly the same actually I was using Dell Optiplex GX280 SD as I has bought it with no hardware changes but then later I bought new DVD-RW/CD-RW drive and replaced my CD-ROM and then I had no problem and I was able to play CD's, burn movies and all but later I had switched to win 7 from win xp and now I was not able to see the DVD drive icon under Devices and Removable Storage. I have tried all the possible solution that I could have tried but then I don’t think that any of them helped me. Is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about it as well?

I think that this might be due to some kind of incompatibility issue because as you have specified that it was working well with the win xp and you are getting problem with the win 7 only so in order to check this just if it is possible then just try to backup all your data and then switch back to xp and then check if you are having the same problem if you don’t then you got your answer and if yes then I think that there might be something wrong with the SATA cables I mean that I have found that they often fail so just make sure that it is not bent at 90 degree or less than it. Just check it out and then let me know what you get.