Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: revert back iBall Slide tablet to its stock rom

Re: revert back iBall Slide tablet to its stock rom

which tool u r using for editing hm2055
    and r u getting any cyclic flashing error (trying on tsunami 1.1)
    can u please provide the steps

Like I said, I hadn't flashed the ROM, only set it up into multi-boot. So in effect, I was using the stock bootloader. And what do you mean by cylic flashing error? Be more specific.

cylic flashing error means when i restart tab after flashing it shows upgrade system activated and starts flashing process, again after restart goes to flashing mode

Can you try the bootloader I sent?

no i havn't tried the bootloader yet, i m afraid it may brick tab
    also in genesis and other roms there are 3 uboot files (u-boot-sd.bin missing)
    please tell what's the function of these 3 u-boot files. i compared files provided by u and genesis bootloader and i found various difference in the script.

Only one of the bold items below is an entry point into the FW upgrade process by U-Boot (i.e. if the correct file does not exist, system is not flashed. It will say upgrade image not found)

• utscript = U-Boot update script executed by NAND tablets. Flashes bootloader (u-boot.bin, u-boot.arg), recovery, kernel and logo. Then executes utscript.sh using "zImage.debug" as the linux environment.
    • utscript_sd = U-Boot update script executed by no-NAND tablets. Flashes bootloader (u-boot-sd.bin, u-boot.arg), recovery, kernel and logo. Then executes utscript.sh using "zImage.debug" as the linux environment.
    • utscript.sh = Executed by either utscript or utscript_sd. Second phase of the upgrade. Installs "/system"; makes partitions on internal SD, formats, etc.
    • u-boot.bin = U-Boot bootloader for NAND tablets (configures linux to load kernel from NAND and then boot from NAND)
    • u-boot-sd.bin = U-Boot bootloader for no-NAND tablets (configures linux to load kernel from internal SD and boot from internal SD)
    • u-boot.arg = U-Boot arguments. Not sure if it's really used, but it is flashed anyway in all firmwares.
    • logo.bmp = self-explanatory.
    • recovery = Recovery boot image (same as iBall). This is loaded when you press Menu+Power and there is no upgrade script in your SD cards.
    • zImage = Linux kernel (not the same as iBall)
    • zImage.debug = Linux boot image that serves as the environment for executing utscript.sh (it doesn't affect your tablet)
    • INand_mm_sd_mbr.vhd = This doesn't seem to be used by anything, so I believe it's presence doesn't matter. Structurally, it's similar to "u-boot-sd.bin" (has an MBR and is a bootloader configured to boot from internal SD).
    • There's one big tar for the "/system" partition (found on NAND)
    • There's a smaller tar for the "/data" partition (found on internal SD). This partition holds applications and data. When you do a factory reset, this is the partition that is erased.
    • Typically, there are a few files for MBR (master boot record) of the internal SD, describing partition layout (for data, cache, an unused partition used in case of no-NAND tabs and sdcardd).

I can prepare a script (i.e. "utscript" file) that TEMPORARILY alters your camera model (i.e. in RAM only, it DOES NOT AFFECT your NAND) and WILL NOT brick your tablet. If it works I think I know how to make it permanent. If you'd be interested in trying it, let me know.
    Last edited by namko; 13-12-2011 at 12:28 PM.

thanks for information
    u'll be extremely thankful, if there is such possibility i can give it a try

Here are two files:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?1g56q296w7d26tw
    http://www.mediafire.com/?dgxgtr5s5sfhmq5

Download the first one ("utscript1.zip"), extract to your the root of your internal SD. Boot it using Menu+Power. It will show upgrade system activated. Then, it will boot normally. Check if the camera works and report back. NOTE that if you boot normally, the camera won't work (temporary change...)

If it works (it probably will), you may try the second file (same procedure). This will make the change permanent (by permanent I mean it will be written to NAND, so you dont need to press Menu+Power every time). Note that this will modify the camera string, save it to NAND, and shutdown (instead of booting like the first one). So you'll then have to turn on the tablet by simply pressing Power. Risk? I don't think this is any more risky that editing the bootloader arguments by hand (because this only uses standard U-Boot commands to do what we were trying to do by hand). It's unlikely to brick your tablet (my estimate is that the worst that could happen is environment is corrupted, and when environment is corrupted it will be stuck in upgrade loop like the one you experienced earlier). But still, you do this at your own risk.

If you want, you can open the files in a text editor and examine their contents, and search for documentation of those commands for U-Boot... this sort of "reverse engineering" is how I managed to set-up dual-boot of stock iBall firmware and custom firmware.
    Last edited by namko; 14-12-2011 at 11:21 PM.

u r simply awesome
    finally i got it working, well done namko
    utscript2 brings permanent change in string values and there is no upgrade loop error.

i want to ask, can we do this by editing utscript in rom files so that we can skip this further upgrading step.

Thanks for your reply. Good to know my theories were correct.

Theoretically, it's possible. There's a tool to create those files, available here for windows (though there are a few caveats): http://www.hyfse.com/armVT8500/mkimage-win.zip

I'd strongly suggest you stick to this two step method (I feel this is a safer option), because not every firmware may have the exact same configuration. This two-step method would (should) however work properly.

EDIT:
    I attached the two files I had uploaded earlier... there's less chances of the files getting deleted. This may help someone else.

Here the instructions, for reference:
    Download the first one ("utscript1.zip"), extract to your the root of your internal SD. Boot it using Menu+Power. It will show upgrade system activated. Then, it will boot normally. Check if the camera works and report back. NOTE that if you boot normally, the camera won't work (temporary change...)

If it works (it probably will), you may try the second file (same procedure). This will make the change permanent (by permanent I mean it will be written to NAND, so you dont need to press Menu+Power every time). Note that this will modify the camera string, save it to NAND, and shutdown (instead of booting like the first one). So you'll then have to turn on the tablet by simply pressing Power. Risk? I don't think this is any more risky that editing the bootloader arguments by hand (because this only uses standard U-Boot commands to do what we were trying to do by hand). It's unlikely to brick your tablet (my estimate is that the worst that could happen is environment is corrupted, and when environment is corrupted it will be stuck in upgrade loop like the one you experienced earlier). But still, you do this at your own risk.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by namko; 15-12-2011 at 08:22 PM.

yes this would definately help others, 'cause iball slide is the only tablet in india which gives better hardware at low cost, it can almost do all those things for which high end tablets are charging double.

have u ever thought of replacing the screen with some better quality display, 'cause it has terrible viewing angles

I am not considering HW modding till my device is in warranty.

Besides, just like the camera model is stored in the bootloader, the screen's model too is stored in the bootloader. Then there's the screen drivers. IMO a lot will have to be considered to change the screen. It's not the internal SD card that you can simply change and it will work fine without any glitch.

PS iBall is not cheap. The (chinese) model which iBall has rebranded sells for about 9000 rupees (approx, add duties and delivery cost). People are shelling about 3-5k extra only for the service (and decent FW). But if you were to compare it to the original Samsung Galaxy Tab I agree with you. Try comparing with the upcoming Lenovo A1 (and HCL too has a few models with the same processor\RAM). It's competitively priced. Do not compare with dual-core Tegra 2 processor tablets. That's a different league altogether.

PPS I've head some people are working on a Honeycomb port for Herotab C8... maybe we'll get to try it on our tablets... and I've heard the same people are also working on ICS (but they're not sure whether they'll make it through or not).
    Last edited by namko; 16-12-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23