Thread: Getting Power Adapter Error message & Battery Not charging in Dell Inspiron-6400

Getting Power Adapter Error message & Battery Not charging in Dell Inspiron-6400

I have been using Dell Inspiron-6400 form a long time and the problem that I have started getting a message saying that "Your system will operate slower and the battery will not charge. Please connect a Dell 65W AC adapter or higher for best system operation." And I have found that I am getting this message when I am plugging the AC adapter. The main problem is that the battery is not getting charged but the tray-icon shows that it is On AC Power' but then I am not getting the 'Charging' indication. Is there anyone who has faced the same problem and has an idea about the same and can help me out?

Re: Getting Power Adapter Error message & Battery Not charging in Dell Inspiron-6400

I have been using Dell Inspiron-6400 form a long time and the problem that I have started getting a message saying that "Your system will operate slower and the battery will not charge. Please connect a Dell 65W AC adapter or higher for best system operation." And I have found that I am getting this message when I am plugging the AC adapter. The main problem is that the battery is not getting charged but the tray-icon shows that it is On AC Power' but then I am not getting the 'Charging' indication. Is there anyone who has faced the same problem and has an idea about the same and can help me out?
    Even I was facing the same kind of problem actually the charger itself is not getting detected I mean that the I am getting a alert message saying that the "AC Power adaptor not detected but then when I plugged it forcefully then it got detected and then it was working fine without any problem. So just check it out if it is the similar case and it is helping you out I know that it does not sounds like a solution but then it had actually worked for me. Just check it out and then let me know if it works or not if not then I will try to help you out with other solution. Best of luck.

Re: Getting Power Adapter Error message & Battery Not charging in Dell Inspiron-6400

Even I was facing the same kind of problem actually the charger itself is not getting detected I mean that the I am getting a alert message saying that the "AC Power adaptor not detected but then when I plugged it forcefully then it got detected and then it was working fine without any problem. So just check it out if it is the similar case and it is helping you out I know that it does not sounds like a solution but then it had actually worked for me. Just check it out and then let me know if it works or not if not then I will try to help you out with other solution. Best of luck.
    I really don’t think that it is some kind of solution I mean that just forcing it might result in a main board replacement rather than just the charger replacement if something goes wrong so I think that you should better not try it out and I will suggest you to get a rockfish ac adaptor and then you will not face such problem again.

I will suggest you to better get a external multi charger in order to charge the battery whenever it is required and I think that you will get this quite cheaper as well as compared to the original adapter. I have also found that you can adjust the AC of it as per your requirement and you can use the same for the other laptops too as it is a multi charger. I have been using the same from four months and by now I have not faced any such problem related to it. Just check it out first and then if you are satisfied with it then you can get it and it is easily available as well

I think that this problem is due to the adapter itself I mean that even I had faced it once and I think that the quality of the dell adapter is just not good because I had bought a new Dell Inspiron and the charger that I had got it with appeared to be faulty just after 2 months and I am really disappointed with the quality of the Dell's adapter. Later I got a replacement adapter of other company but then it worked fine for 3 months and then I got the same message that you have specified and then I again got a dell adapter thinking that it will work fine but then I started getting the same message just after a week and I was really tired of running for replacement again and again. Actually the biggest problem is that I am more in to travelling because of which this issue is really getting in to my nerve. I have tried to contact the dell service center the only answer I get is visit the service center and they will check it out and if it did not worked then they will give me a replacement again. I don’t know what to do because after getting a replacement it do work for a couple of months but then the problem is still the same. I really think that they come up with good quality adapters soon so I don’t have to run for replacement all the time.

Yes even I agree to you I will say that just perform a test if it is possible for you to get same type of charger and then plug it in to your machine and then check if it is working or giving the same kind of problem or you can also do the other way round by connecting your charger to some other laptop that requires the same input. If at all if there is something wrong with the charger or the computer than you will come to know. Just check it out to know where the problem is exactly and after that you can solve it out.

Even I have been facing the same problem with my Studio 1745 it keeps on saying that the battery is not charging because of which I have to use a 90W battery charger but then I found that when I remove the battery then the laptop just works fine even though I am using the charger as my power source. I don’t think hat there is something wrong with the battery because I have tested it as well and it is appearing to be working well. I am thinking that the adapter is bad but then when it is working without the battery than it is confusing me. Is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about the same?

Even I have been facing the same problem with my Studio 1745 it keeps on saying that the battery is not charging because of which I have to use a 90W battery charger but then I found that when I remove the battery then the laptop just works fine even though I am using the charger as my power source. I don’t think hat there is something wrong with the battery because I have tested it as well and it is appearing to be working well. I am thinking that the adapter is bad but then when it is working without the battery than it is confusing me. Is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about the same?

In this case I will like to inform you that the battery does not get any signal from the charger in fact it gets the signal from the small wire that is between the DC power plug. So I think that the wire in the charger cord might have been broken or it can be that the connection between the laptop and the system board via the DC socket has been broken. These both are related to the socket problem. Even I will suggest you to try out your charger by connecting in to another laptop or vice versa as one has specified above. If the charger is faulty then you will have to replace the adapter and if it is not then I think that you will have to replace the power socket itself. If you are under warranty then you will not have problem in getting it replaced bit if you have crossed the warranty then it5 will cost you a handsome amount to get a dells original power socket. Just check it out and find out what is the actual problem.

I have found that the dell chargers are having they are not able to wrap the cord around the charger or by "over flexing" the cord properly and because of which later they result in such issues and I have also seen some other cords where they have the outside insulation in order to pull out a DC plug and this is really a careless handling method. You can just check if the small wire in the plug is bent because if it is than it might result in not making the contact properly .I have found some people who have been facing the same problem but later they came to know about this but then taking care of it they were able to avoid it further so you can also check if it is the same case.

Hey thanks for your help actually it was not possible for me to check out the charger by connecting it to some other computer but then I was able to borrow a charger and when I tested connecting it to my computer than it was working well without any problem. So I think that it was the problem with the charger and I will get it replaced but then I am happy that it was not any kind of problem with the power socket. I am luckily having the warranty so I just have to spend time rather than money to get it replaced.

I have fixed the same problem by just disconnecting the cable to the adapter and then just changing the positive and negative side and after that reconnect it and it will work without any problem. I you want you can try this out but then I will also say that do this on your own risk because there are many people who are quite afraid when it is about positive and negative thing with the adapters but then it has really worked for me in the same way.

Yes people are afraid of the negative and the positive thing because even you know if they go wrong then what can be the result. I mean that it can even damage your computer as well so I think that a damaged adapter is better than a damaged computer and I think that 98 percent of people won’t go for your solution. I mean that it might be working but then as you have specified do it on your own risk will appear to be “don’t do it”