Thread: How to use S/Mime on iOS 5?

How to use S/Mime on iOS 5?

One of the promoted offers of iOS 5 was the incorporation of S/MIME in the Mail client. So far I could not recognize any documentation for how to enable or utilize it. Has anybody successfully done it? If yes then please share the solution here.

Re: How to use S/Mime on iOS 5?

You don't need to utilize the iPhone Configuration Utility (granted that I could look for that to be a less demanding way to prod out a group of certificates in one go), you are able to send the certificates to the user in a message. On the iPhone you are able to then open the connection and a profile is made for it. NB: You need to tap and expect on the connection to remember do this; I could not recollect.

To in fact utilize S/MIME you need to turn it on for the email account you need to utilize it with:
    Settings-> Mail-> [the account]-> Account-> Advanced-> S/MIME

Unfortunately no brand new documentation on Apple's site was released. I got it tackling iPhone Configuration Utility but unfortunately there's sparse documentation. I cannot consider any documentation pointing how to set up S/MIME. I'm not yet set up to try the iPhone Configuration Utility-I require something that would be more effortless to setup and maintain so I am able to send to a few users within the group.

There are several ways to do this.
    • -iPhone configuration utility is the event that you desire to install directly over USB and don’t worry over the unsecure email.
    • OR
    • -Send out it as a .p12 account and email it to yourself or send somehow in iCloud and open it on the device.
    • OR
    • -Download it directly from the website that issues the private key certificates utilizing mobile Safari.

I downloaded the CollectCCC.p7s to my laptop, imported to keychain. I would be able to export it to .cer, .pem, and .p7b but not .p12. I sent the .cer to my message on my iPhone 4s and introduced it. When I head over to Settings-> Mail-> [the account]-> Account-> Advanced-> S/MIME .I prepare it and afterward I attempt to prepare "Sign" it doesn't spared me the time to do it. It is grayed out and under Certificates it expresss no valid authentications found.

I was equipped to install my private certificates via iphone setup configuration and its indicated under "profiles" now. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to select the declaration in the SMIME arrangement of the relating send account at my iPhone. Since I attempt to switch on marking or encrypting, the iPhone just demonstrates "No valid certificates found" My certificate is valid for message encryption and the message location in this declaration is the same as the account utilizes. In the event that I additionally arrange the entire message account settings via the iPhone arrangement utility all items works fine, but I'm not equipped to deactivate/activate the SMIME use at the iPhone for this account.

I'm in almost the same situation. I've put my certificate in the phone via both the iPhone Configuration Utility and via messaging the PKCS12 index to myself and introducing it out of the message on the phone. I still get "No valid declaration found" in the S/MIME inclination. The "profile" joined via the design utility indicates as "Verified", the one united via message demonstrates as "Not Trusted". I've attempted both designs in parts, and with both variants instated at the same time. On the off chance that it matters my cert was issued by CAcert. I joined CAcert's root declaration via the iPhone Configuration Utility besides.

It's a reasonable indicate that some (presumably the vast majority) of my recipients won't have the ability to validate the signature, but I continue anyway to sway them to go get the CAcert root. I don't positively do it for the security, but more to further CAcert simply for the reason that I such as the thought. I've been utilizing S/MIME in Mail.app with my cert from CAcert for quite some time. I know the cert is fine.

I did that heretofore. Unequivocally did an additional export to confirm, verifying that I selected "my certificates" before sending out. The coming about account is the same size as my past export. A MD5 checksum of the revamped export and my past export don't match, but I surmise that would be in light of the fact that the private key inches toward getting encrypted with a special salt every time you send out it. Passing both old and unique exports through 'openssl pkcs12' indicates the just divergence as the encrypted key data.

You could not send encrypted messages for the reason that an encryption certificates for the email address "emailaddress" might not be found.