Thread: What is S-OFF & S-ON on HTC Wildfire X

What is S-OFF & S-ON on HTC Wildfire X

My friend just purchased HTC Wildfire S. He wants to root the phone to get more space and additional features. I tried searching tons of site to find the right firmware and os for the phone but there is nothing available. On other hand some guides on webs says to S-OFF the phone. What is this means ?

Re: What is S-OFF & S-ON on HTC Wildfire X

S-OFF and S-ON means a service by which you can modify the rom or the flash chip in the phone. S-OFF means your phone rom is unlocked and you can root it while S-ON means you cannot overwrite the phones system files. The phone which comes with S in the model names has S-ON by default. It is not easy to turn it off unless you wipe out everything. There are certain mods called as ClockworkMod which helps you to recover the phone rom via zip packages. Till yet there is no official patches available for Wildfire S. While HTC Wildfire has settings for S-OFF and S-ON.

How to root HTC WILDFIRE S?

Whatever solution I am providing here is on your own risk. Because rooting in some phone can cause warranty lose. There is tool by the developers of Unrevoked and AlphaRevX called as S-OFF tool. It works on most of HTC Wildfire android phones. Even on tablet pc. It is called as S-OFF & Recovery Tool 0.4pre4. With the help of this tool you can easily install any modified version of Roms on the phone. The only thing this mod lacks is that it cannot work about 1.01.0001 HBOOT version. To begin with this first get HTC Fastboot drivers and remove HTC Sync from the phone.

Download and install the tool.
    • Connect the phone to the PC and enable USB Debugging. If this doesn't work then go in Settings > Application > Development
    • You will need to generate a serial key which will make the mod run. You have to provide the dummy key to the webpage from where you go the tool.
    • Once you are done with the key part wait for sometime. The S-OFF will be done.

What I know that there is not yet any proper rom update for HTC Wildfire S. I tried searching ample of sites for the same, but there is nothing much provided. There are ample of mods for HTC Wildfire and sure that will work on the S version too. Till yet many are trying the same, but thanks for the S-OFF thing.