Thread: using a sony handycam for livestream

using a sony handycam for livestream

Hi everyone. I have been using a s400 port on an old toshiba laptop to attach the ilink cable to my old dv sony handycam. The problem I have is the laptop processor pentium m 1.86 Ghz with 1 gig of RAM can't keep up with the frame rate of 25 fps and transfer rate of 640 Kbps, 80 KB. Do any of the new laptops have an s400 port with a fast processor?
    The other option I have is I have a new sony handycam with an av out cable. Is there a way of making this camera work like a web cam?

Re: using a sony handycam for livestream

You need to just buy a Firewire cable with 6 pix to 4 pin mini like the Belkin FireWire Cable which will approx. cost you $17.99 and then you have to just plug your camera to firewire connector and same on laptop. After that turn on the Camera and will be recognized as a new video/audio device (Microsoft DV firewire, most the times), then select that device on the Mogulus Studio or FME (Adobe Flash Live Encoder)and there you go, your camera should be live now.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

Thankyou Gonzo. I have a pc desktop that has a firewire card and I also have a 4 to 6 cable and they work well. I guess I should have been more specific.
    Do new laptops other than apple laptops come with a firewire input? Would a usb to firewire adapter work if the laptop does not have a firewire input?
    Using my old laptop, I can stream at maybe 5 frames per second. I want to go to 25 frames per second which my desktop computer handles with ease. The old laptop processor is pentium m 1.86 Ghz. In a new laptop, would I need an i3, i5 or i7 to give a consistant frame rate?

Another question if I can, I have an HDR-XR500 sony handycam which is brilliant. I have a sony cord that has svideo, and the 3 rca jacks for video and left/right sound that I plug into the A/V r socket. It works well transfering live streaming to my television but how can I get a laptop to recognise it as a streaming web cam?
    Last edited by Davestanton; 29-10-2011 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davestanton View Post
    Thankyou Gonzo. I have a pc desktop that has a firewire card and I also have a 4 to 6 cable and they work well. I guess I should have been more specific.
    Do new laptops other than apple laptops come with a firewire input? Would a usb to firewire adapter work if the laptop does not have a firewire input?
    Using my old laptop, I can stream at maybe 5 frames per second. I want to go to 25 frames per second which my desktop computer handles with ease. The old laptop processor is pentium m 1.86 Ghz. In a new laptop, would I need an i3, i5 or i7 to give a consistant frame rate?

Another question if I can, I have an HDR-XR500 sony handycam which is brilliant. I have a sony cord that has svideo, and the 3 rca jacks for video and left/right sound that I plug into the A/V r socket. It works well transfering live streaming to my television but how can I get a laptop to recognise it as a streaming web cam?
    Just sorted the last bit. The new handycam is recognised but not by the livestream software unless you are a paying client and using their premium, HD account.