Thread: Conexant 20672 SmartAudio HD is not working in Lenovo ThinkPad X220

Conexant 20672 SmartAudio HD is not working in Lenovo ThinkPad X220

Recently I have get the new Lenovo ThinkPad X220, and I am thinking that this a excellent machine; but I am disappointed with this machine. And this is caused by the Conexant 20672 SmartAudio HD soundcard. This is not working in this system properly. And for getting resolve the problem I have also tried with driver update to 8.32.23 but after this also get the same problem. This card is not working properly when I am trying to use the programs such as Skype, the mainly limited mic settings either create a huge background hiss or a extremely silence mic, even when using a confidence external mic plugged straight into the card. Can anyone help here in this cause.

Re: Conexant 20672 SmartAudio HD is not working in Lenovo ThinkPad X220

I am not using the skype on my ThinkPad X220, and for that reason I can say here that I can't comment. But here for your cause, I will say here for you to take the new USB headset. I am sure here that this will help you to resolve the problem related with the sound card. This USB headset also helps you to bypass the built in sound chip and its driver.

In your cause, I will say here to you that this problem is totally related with the Conexant drivers and Thinkpads drivers. I am telling you this all because I am also having the same Lenovo ThinkPad X220 and with this also I am facing the same problem. It is most likely the driver, but could be the hardware mic or soundcard too, but here I am not sure about that also. For resolving your problem I will suggest you that if you are having the SmartAudio in your Control panel then try to open that and then try to adjust VoIP settings. Hope that this will really help in your cause. Because while searching for my problem I see that someone have told me to do this setting. But when I checked the control panel at that time i found that my control panel is not having the SmartAudio. So I am suggesting you this suggestion. Try to check your control panel, hope that this all will help you to resolve your problem.

USB headset has its own soundcard, and if you are getting the problem related with the sound card then I think that you will need to use the USB headset because USB headset has its own soundcard and this will surely work in your cause. I am very sure about that this will really help in your cause because I know that when an brilliant working 3.5mm wired headset is connected directly into the soundcard - a wired headset with a tested built-in mic - the mic is still controlled by the soundcard driver and no amount of changing the limited software. So I am hoping here that this will really help in your cause.

Yes, I agree with you. Before reading your post I was thinking that my X200 sound/mic problems were a fluctuation but now I came to know that latest X series machines still have it. Thanks for suggesting me about this.

I would like to suggest you here to try toggling some of the recording options in SmartAudio. May this help you in your cause? I am not sure about that this will help you or not but may it happens that changing the setting help you to resolve the issue. If this also not worked in your cause then please reply me back, then I will try to give the other suggestion for your cause.

I am also experiencing the same problem with my Lenovo ThinkPad X220 which is running on the Windows 7. And for that I have also tried with the so many of the suggestion but still I found the same problem. When I came to this forums at that time I found that someone is telling that this problem is related with the drivers only. So for that reason I am using the default windows driver instead of the Conexant one, but the problem still persisted. This also not helped me in this cause. But I have noticed that microphone works perfectly with Ubuntu 11.04. any opinion in this cause.

Fine, let me tell you all that for getting resolved that problem I have also tried with contacting the Lenovo support forums but they also not helped me in this cause. Someone on this forums have told me that if this problem not resolve then I will need to use the USB headphone instead of this HD Card. And now I am thinking to use that USB headset. And hope that this will help me ion this cause.

Here I think that you are facing this problem because for the product that advertises Dual HD Microphones these issues are disturbing. I am sure about that and for that reason also you are having the problem related with the sound card when you are using the Skype. The work around is either pair the laptop with a Bluetooth headset or as others have pointed out use a USB headset. Let me also try with the same and let me find some suggestion in this cause then I will suggest you here back for the suggestion.

Hey dude, thanks for suggesting me about this suggestion. I will try with this and if I found some problem related with that then I will reply here back for getting the more result in this cause. Thanks a lot for your help.