Thread: Lenovo ThinkPad T420s and Mini Dock Plus 3 170W shutdown randomly

Lenovo ThinkPad T420s and Mini Dock Plus 3 170W shutdown randomly

As the title of this particular thread is saying what I wanted to ask over here. I am having Lenovo ThinkPad T420s. it seems to be shutdown randomly. The laptop of mine is seems to be freezing for the couple of minutes and simply gets turn off. Now tell me what should I do to fix the above mentioned issue? any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad T420s and Mini Dock Plus 3 170W shutdown randomly

Well looking at the situation I wanted to know following details so that I can figure out the root cause of the problem of yours.
    Which operating systems do you running?
    Is there any BSOD or memory dump at the time of freezing?
    Do you have upgraded RAM of the laptop? Can you provide the Windows log to get the root cause of the problem?

Hey thanks a lot for the prompt reply of yours. Well I wanted to tell you that is there is no BSOD on the system. I have installed Windows 7 on the device of mine.
    Following is the events
    Source: Kernel-Power
    Event ID: 41
    Task Category: (63)
    Keywords2)
    "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
    BugcheckCode 0
    SleepInProgress false
    PowerButtonTimestamp 0

Well I was also having the same problem which you have stated over here. I have simply changed the power manager System Performance to Balanced. After that there was not an issue which you have discussed over here.

After going through the information which you have stated over here I am suspecting that there is "System Failure - auto restart" feature enabled. Why this particular feature is provided because there is a situation whether there is crash the system of yours gets simply restart rather than that of giving a BSOD. BSOD is seems to be more helpful as you are supposed to get an error code which will help you out to troubleshoot the problem of yours. you will be able to turn off this particular feature at Start\Control Panel\System\Advanced System Settings\Advanced\Startup and Recovery\Settings\System Failure\Automatically Restart.

Well I am suspecting that there is an issue with the incompatible drivers which you have installed on the computer. if so than you should remove the same and install the drivers which will help you out to fix the matter of yours.

Sometimes restarting of the system happens because of the hardware issue. So I am suggesting that you should done the following tests which can be useful to figure out the hardware issue on the system.
    memtest86 (RAM)
    SeaTools (SSD)
    If there is no error message than I am sure that there will not be any issue with the hardware of the laptop of yours.
    Another thing which I wanted to tell you that there is a overheating issue with the laptop of yours. so what I wanted to tell you that you should get the temperature monitoring program so that you can what changes are being happening on the system.

Looking at the matter which you have stated over here I recommend that you should reinstall the operating system which you have installed on the computer of yours.

Tell me whether you are having device warranty? If so than I recommend that you should contact the official service center and claim for the service warranty. Make sure that the device of yours should not have the physical damage otherwise you will not be able to claim for the service warranty.